Friday, October 27, 2006

Welcome to my Stamp--n-Scrap Loft!

I have resisted this blogging thing for awhile now. I really didn't think anyone cared to know the gory details of my life! I did try one awhile back, but got bored with it, for the reason I just stated. But, I don't know, something in me is attracted to the idea of talking about two of my favorite three hobbies (rubber stamping, scrapbooking and writing), so I thought, what the heck, let's give it a go! And, actually, I guess I get to include my third hobby, because I will be writing this blog ...

A quick back-history of my stamping and scrapping hobbies: I first saw a demonstration of "scrapbooking" back when my son Aidan (who is now 13) was about a year old, so that would've been 1994-ish. I hated it. I thought it was somehow sacriligious to actually cut photographs. Plus the whole idea of cutting them in circles and stars and then sticking silly stickers on the page and doing goofy lettering really turned me off. I swore I would never do something that lame. (And I was quite self-righteous about it, too! lol)

Fast-forward to 1998. Through the company my husband Bjorn worked for, we had an opportunity of a lifetime to go to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and stay free at a very nice resort (the Westin Regina). We even got a food-and-spending allowance! It was a fun, fantastic trip, and we even took Aidan, who was still four when we went. I took tons of pictures, of course. And when I got home, I don't even remember why, but I found myself somewhat interested in scrapbooking the pictures. (I probably saw a scrapping magazine.) So, I bought my first patterned papers (a cheesy vacation themed kit), some decorative scissors, a few markers and a Zig Two-Way Glue pen, and I was off and running. I LOVED it!! Of course, I cringe in horror now when I go back and look at that first scrapbook, but I try to remind myself that it was the equivalent of a child first learning to write. Anyway, I was hooked, and this spelled doom for our budget!

Sometime after that I discovered rubber stamps. Again, I don't remember the details, because I'm sure I innocently blundered into this world, but, again, I was hooked!

I'm not incredibly consistent in my scrapping. I've completed only five albums, but this summer I took Stacy Julian's "Big Picture: Library of Memories" class online, and it has completely revolutionized the way I look at scrapping. I'm sure more of this will come out as I blog, so I won't write an entire book about it right now. But it has freed me from the tyranny of the chronological album (not that I ever did those -- most of mine have been vacation albums), and lifted the burden of "caught up". Stacy J hates "caught up", and has tossed that whole notion aside. THANK YOU, STACY!! (Gotta love that we have the same first name!)

In July 2005 I signed up to become a Stampin' Up! demonstrator. They are far and away my favorite stampin' stuff company. I do use other companies' products, too, but SU is first in my heart. (Club Stamp would have to be next.)

In January of this year I signed up for Pat Huntoon's "Technique Junkies" newsletter. It is FULL of awesome techniques that take cards out of the realm of "basic blah" into "amazingly fantastic!" But I didn't really try any of the techniques until last month -- and I am so hooked! Once again my world has been revolutionized, and I am no longer stamping-blocked when I go into my craft loft and sit down. I've been cranking out cards like mad! I highly suggest you check out her website -- www.patstamps.com -- and seriously consider subscribing to the newsletter. It rocks!

Another website I highly recommend is www.splitcoaststampers.com -- it's dedicated to Stampin' Up! products, and has the most amazing gallery of member-made "stuff" imaginable. They also have a huge section of techniques, so between SCS and Technique Junkies, you can't lose. Bookmark them now!

Enough for now. I'll try not to be so long-winded in future, but I am a writer at heart, so please bear with me!

No comments: