Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas 2006 is history

Well, I certainly intended to get back to my blog before Christmas Day, but that didn't happen. But we had a decent Christmas -- two Christmas Eve services (the morning one at our church and the evening at the church where we got married), a quiet, un-greedy Christmas morning for a change. Usually when we're in Texas for Christmas, we've got siblings and nieces/nephew and grand-niece ripping into things. This Christmas it was just the three of us, my folks and grandmother, and my brother from Houston. I don't remember now whether I posted here or if it was somewhere else about my brother's wife of 26 years just deciding she wanted to go back and recapture her youth, so she just walked in one day a couple of months ago and told him she wanted a divorce. So this has, understandably, been a VERY hard Christmas for him. They have three grown kids (one a senior in high school) who opted to spend Christmas at home, which is where his wife was going to be, so he came up to spend a few days here. So it was kinda a weird Christmas because we were trying so hard to take his situation into account by not being TOO cheerful (which was hard, because, for some reason this year the Christmas jollies hit me full force!), and yet not being too somber ... I really hate that he's having to go through such stupid, needless pain.

Oh, but that doesn't really have much to do with crafting. Well, I did finish the "childhood memories" thing I was making him (guess I did mention something about the situation?). I digiscrapped that, although I realize that I will never become a true digiscrapper. It's so much more fun to feel real paper, use real inks, real brads, etc., for me. There were no pictures in his gift, just fond remembrances (some humourous, some more thoughtful) of our childhood together (I very strategically left out the negative, sibling rivalry stuff!). It turned out very well!

I mostly finished my niece's (did I spell that right? I can never remember which vowel comes first) perpetual calendar. Now all I have to do is figure out how she's gonna hang it up, and what will hold the upper pages together so they don't fall down over the current month. It's pretty "chunky", embellies-wise, so that kinda complicated things. I promise I will take pictures of the pages, and post a couple here.

I also made Bjorn a desk calendar (one of those 6x6 Stampin' Up! ones), of which I am particularly proud. A friend of mine had made one for her husband a couple of years ago, and I loved the idea, but didn't think I could pull it off. Somehow I didn't think I could do a 6x6, non-journaling type of thing, but once I got started on this one, it just flowed! So I'll get some pictures of that on here, too.

But, in the meantime, I have to recover from the pre-Christmas gift-making-frenzy-stress, the eating wrong foods (stuff I'm allergic to, like wheat, which made me feel really tired and grumpy), the heaps and heaps of e-mails to go through from the Technique Junkies sites ...

And then I'll be sequestering myself back up in my craft loft and making more and more fun, artsy cards!! Mwuhahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Happy recovering from it all!

No comments: