Saturday, February 10, 2007

Just Say No to Glitter

I have to be honest here -- I am NOT a glitter person. In fact, I hate glitter. Okay, not the way it looks, that's kinda fun. Not when anyone else uses it, either. But I DETEST having glitter all over my craft loft, all over my clothes, in my hair, on my face, and drifting down over the half-wall of the craft loft into the living area below. I decided to try the "Glitter Straw" technique yesterday morning. It involves, you guessed it, GLITTER! (And an awful lot of huffing and puffing and lightheadedness! lol) I used SU's Dazzling Diamonds glitter. Ultrafine glitter. As in "lighter than air, blowing around all over the freakin' craft loft" ultrafine. Now, I like how the background turned out. It's lovely. But I finally had to go ALL THE WAY downstairs to drown the thing in Gloss Sealer to keep the glitter from migrating all over the known world. Some of it STILL migrated, but I did manage to get it (mostly) under control.

So I had the background -- shades of turquoise, green, blue, all with the purpose of using the new peacock stamp I bought from Wilde Ideas (stamp is actually by Impression Obsession). I tried several different ideas with the stamp, but finally ended up, under protest (to myself), using several different GLITTER-laced embossing powders, combined. (Old stuff I've had forever -- "Golden Ocean", "Green Sparkle", "Transparent Green", with a little gold GLITTER and Iridescent Ice thrown into the mix). I inked the image up in Encore Silver, went over that using a makeup sponge loaded with Encore Gold (just slightly -- cool tarnish effect), then dumping the newly-christened "Peacock" embossing powder mix over that and heat embossing. It turned out pretty kewl, IMHYAO (in my humble, yet accurate, opinion), but, oh, the GLITTER!! It was EVERYWHERE! In fact, I just now noticed glitter on my laptop keyboard, and this baby is nowhere NEAR the craft loft. (It is, however, very near my impossible-to-completely-deglitterize fingers.)

So, yes, quite another Stamping Loft saga. But I LOVE the results, I will admit. I wasn't about to contaminate my scanner with stray glitter bits, so I photographed it (which is why it may look a little bent in places).



Okay, now that I got my Long Detailed Story out of the way, here's a little funsie for you:


I am a
Hydrangea


What Flower
Are You?




"You are just a little bit of a show off and like to prove just what you can do. Every time someone double-dog-dared you, you proved that not only could you do it, but you could do it with style."

Saw this over at maryrubber's blog (Stamp Camp) and just thought I'd take it for fun. I must admit, I'm pleased with the result -- I love hydrangeas!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled Show-Off session. ;-)

Here are a couple of other cards I've done lately:

This is my "Burnt Edges" Diva. Another Technique Junkies technique, made to look like you've burned the edges of your paper, but you HAVEN'T! You've used INK!! It would be quicker to use a candle, but the ink looks better. If you can do it without getting Ranger Distress Soot Black ink on everything. Some of us may be more challenged in this area than others. I refuse to qualify that further. ;-)

Here's another one: Again, another "challenging" technique for me, this one called "Glowing Pastels". I've only tried it once, and I do want to try again, but this example is the best one of the bunch, and I have cleverly hidden the smeary bits. Don't you love this little girl? I'm trying to come up with a name for her. I think the stamp company (Enchanted Ink) has named her, but I prefer to come up with my own. Any suggestions?

Alright, that's it for now. Oh! I've finally updated my Stampin' Up! website, so if you don't have anything else to do, you might give it a squiz, tell me what you think of it. (I think I have the link to it over on the side here ... sad that I can't remember a simple thing like that, isn't it!)

So ... off to bed. And, please, PLEASE, dear sleep fairies -- no sprinkling stardust around tonight, okay? I've got enough glitter to go around for quite some time!!

No comments: