Thursday, March 08, 2007

Promised pics ... and wondering why ...

... I have a newspaper as my home page? I've got the New Zealand Herald up, and half the time the headlines really are upsetting. Today's: "Woman arrested after toddler's body found in bush". Well, that starts my day off right (rolls eyes). Still, I do like keeping up with what's going on in New Zealand, never mind that I've never been there. It still sounds like a good place to me, despite the disturbing headlines!

Okay, here are the promised pictures. I don't have a lot of time this morning to go into mega detail, but when have y'all ever known me not to give plenty of commentary?

These are two pictures of the same card -- one with flash, one without (and this one is slightly blurry). Neither one really shows how the card looks IRL, but you can get an idea from seeing them both. I used a Spectrum Roll background, and painted my princess in Twinks (VERY time consuming to do four of these darlings). I love the way it turned out. I'm such a Princess at heart! (Just ask my parents and my husband ;-) ) "Dream" is SU. Castle is Enchanted Ink. Princess is Beeswax Stamps.

This card was done using a Watercolor Distress background. In fact, I bought this stamp to go with this background because the colors -- blue and orangy brown -- reminded me of an old world map (oceans and land). I stamped the image (from Stampabilities) first in Black Soot (Ranger Distress Inks), then when that had dried, I stamped over it in Versamark and covered it with gold Pearl Ex. It was very tough getting the image aligned again, even with the Stamp-a-ma-jig, so I only really got two that were worth much.


I LOVE this card! And this technique. It's called "Peeled Reveal", and it is super simple. Basically you just daub a color of acrylic paint (Adirondack Acrylic Daubers) on canvas paper, and when that dries you "paint" your stamp with the black paint dauber and stamp it on the paper. When that's completely dry, you rub some vaseline over the image (remembering to be a bit "random" in placement -- it's supposed to look distressed), and then daub a darker color ink over the whole piece of cardstock. When that's pretty much dry, you just wipe off the Vaseline, and there you have the "peeled" look. The vaseline, obviously, resists the paint, so it's a kind of masking. Anyway, it is such a fun technique, I'm definitely going to be doing more of it. The umbrella girls are from River City Rubber Works -- don't they look like they're just being joyful despite the rain? (Or the sun, depending on what they're blocking.)


I also have a "Hot Card" that I did that I want to show you, but when I photographed it, it didn't turn out well. I think I can scan it with better results, but no time right now to do that. You'll just have to wait in anquished suspense ;-)

Okay, gotta run try to get some stamping time in before my busy day really gets cranking. Onward and upward, to get elbow deep in ink!!!

No comments: