Monday, June 25, 2007

A stitch in time ... LOTS of time

Well, I figured a couple of things out today that make me definitely a candidate for the diagnosis of "Early Onset Alzheimer's" ... I've got a scanner sitting here on my desk that's quite capable of scanning things 12 inches long. As in the "x12" part of a 12x12 layout. I don't need to photograph my LOs! I can scan and stitch!! Why it took me the better part of a year to realize this is beyond my ability to comprehend, but, hey, I don't seem to have much ability to comprehend, anyway.

The reason I forgot this (or didn't notice)? The only thing I can think of is that our "main" scanner is one of those all-in-one copier-scanner thingies that only goes to 11-1/2". So I just wrote off scanning LOs when we got it, and never stopped to think that the scanner my dad gave me a year ago for scanning the family slides (um, y'know, I think I need to start doing that! lol) is 12 inches long!! So yes, I've been using it to scan cards all along (it's connected directly to my computer, the other one is only connected to our network and you have to scan from a different computer), but now I can do LOs!!

But this requires a stitching program. So I went online to look for one (pref. a freebie), and the first one I got was ... less than optimal. Plus I think whoever created it has something other than English as their first language. So after messing with that for a half hour or so, I deleted it and went in search of something else. Then I found ArcSoft. And I remembered that my sister-in-law had suggested this, like, a year or more ago. So I downloaded the free trial version of their scrapbook page stitching program, and I'm quite happy with the results! I may have to buy it when the trial runs out.

SO, after messing with that program for awhile and finally figuring it out, here's what I have to show you -- the Reading LO!!





You can click on the images to see them larger.

I'm so happy to have this done! On the StampingScrapbookers Yahoo! group I'm in, we've got a "summer support group" going, for those of us who need encouragement in accomplishing some goals. My goal is to do one layout a week, 1 or 2 pages each, so I succeeded in meeting the first week's goal! On to week 2!!

No comments: