Wednesday, July 18, 2007

CASS vs. CASE (with lots of pictures!)

Before I get started on today's entry, let me first announce that Pat over at Technique Junkies is offering a GREAT DEAL, for one week only, on two years of the Technique Junkies newsletter. Here's what she has to say about it:

"For one-week only, get two years at 2004 prices! Get the 2007 and 2008 Technique Junkie newsletters for just $33.00 (US addresses only). You will receive a whopping 150 techniques delivered to your doorstep. TJ techniques are step-by-step -- not an overview -- and the newsletter itself is full-color, professionally printed and high-quality. In addition, you have online-access to the step-by-step picture tutorials online -- and GREAT artwork from talented designers.

No-one has more tutorials than the Technique Junkie Newsletter. With our 5 years of publications, we have an archive of nearly 400 Rubber Stamping Tutorials -- and so many more to come!

Email me today to start your subscription today! phuntoon@optonline.net"

So if you've been putting off subscribing to her wonderful newsletter, this is the time to do it!!! Go right now and sign up ... and then come back and finish my blog entry!

Okay, I have been playing for the last couple of days, trying to get ready for the SU New Catalog Open House I'm having on Sunday afternoon. I've figured out the make-n-takes as well as made a few "exciting samples" to show them of other ideas for the stamp sets. Now, I have a confession to make: In the interest of time, I have "CASSed" most of the ideas. What is "CASSing" you ask? It's a term I just made up that stands for "Copy and Steal Some", as opposed to CASEing, where you "Copy and Steal Everything." I got my ideas mainly from Splitcoast Stampers, and one from the new catalog itself, but none of them are EXACTLY like the original.

So I may as well show you what I've done so far (and if you're coming to the Open House and don't want to see, just find something else to look at on the internet, or close your browser, because these are beyond spoilers, these are the Actual Make-n-Takes!)

As I said, these will be the Make-n-Takes:

#1 -- Pick-a-Petal Friendship Card -- Okay, I looked through about 18 pages of P-a-P on SCS just now to try to find the card I CASSed, but either I missed it, or it's moved. Anyway, the original had a blue flower, yellow center, yellow card base and, I believe, solid circles stamped in yellow on the card base. And I think it said "Thank You" instead of "Friendship". It was adorable, but Pat Huntoon (of TJ fame) has been experimenting with color combos, and she put together Real Red and Groovy Guava on a card, so I thought I would, too! So here is my Friendship Red/Guava Flower card:


#2 -- 3D Garden Whimsy -- This one is CASSed from both "Bayou Whimsy", by "kulissa" and from a card by Pat Huntoon, both on SCS. Kulissa's was not 3D, and Pat's was, so that's one way I changed it up. I also oriented my swirl-sentiment differently, and added the little bugs. Kulissa's seemed larger than what I did, and I matted a bit differently. Also, I added the little bugs across the bottom. The color scheme is Kulissa's, except she also used Old Olive and I didn't. So, here's the card (I turned it sideways so you could see the 3D effect, but it didn't work very well):



#3 -- Chocolate/Guava Outlaw card -- This one I CASSed from Jeanne Streiff on SCS. Hers was larger, had the medallion in a different place, used the Ticket Corner punch, which I don't have, and had "from the heart" stamped on it. Also, I used a rhinestone brad, and hers was either silver or gold. My card is 4-1/4" square:



#4 -- Baroque Motifs Vellum Candy Box -- For this one I got inspiration from page 76 of the new catty. I had no template to go by, so I just finally searched the web for one that I could adapt, at least for the little rectangle box inside the vellum sleeve. I changed up the colors and stamp sets used. Mine uses Baroque Motifs, Purely Pomegranate, Tempting Turquoise and Chocolate Chip with a dash of Whisper White (another Pat Huntoon color combo):


So those are the make-n-takes. I also did a couple of extra cards that I'll show, and I'll be working on others tonight.

Here are my extras, both CASSed from SCS:
Garden Whimsy -- I don't know if the original used vellum or not, but mine has a vellum overlay with the butterfly, red tulip and swirl-sentiment. Also, I used the Whimsy wheel on the card base:



And this is my version of the Pick-a-Petal ladybug. The one I CASSed had no flowers on it. I used both the P-a-P set and Big Pieces to make the flowers, and scavenged a couple of leaves from Watercolor Garden (Retired):


Whew! That was a lot of work, but so much fun! I usually prefer coming up with my own designs for cards, but every once in awhile CASSing can be quite rewarding!

Back soon with more Open House goodies!

4 comments:

Liz Bassett said...

Stacy,

great work as always! You'll have fun at the open house!

liz

gretchenhs said...

Beautiful work Stacy!

Diane said...

Stacy, they are all beautiful and I think all your attendees are going to LOVE making them. But that first Garden Whismy one takes the cake it is VERY beautiful. I've ordered this set and will be CASSing this one as you say.....check my blog you will be able to see it there shortly....LOL
Diane

KayellWY said...

You cards are all wonderful. I love the bright, crisp colors! :)