Thursday, July 05, 2007

Double (Vanilla) Vision

Well, it has been a rough week. Lots of depressing stuff -- but sometimes that really brings out the creativity, and so I've got three "Double Vanilla" technique cards to show off. We had a "4th of July Parade Watching/Breakfast Potluck" at our house yesterday morning. Our small town has a parade that runs right past our house, so we have a party every year and invite our friends to watch with us. Some of our closest friends live about an hour's drive from our house, so we always invite them to spend the night with us, otherwise they would have to leave their house by 6am to get here before the road is closed to our house for the parade. So, anyway, they stayed with us almost all day yesterday, and the woman of the family is a stamper like me, so we went up and played with my stamps while everyone else placed Settlers of Catan (fun game, BTW). She was trying out the Vanilla Double technique and made a really neat card with my "In the Spotlight" set (2007 Fall/Winter Catalog Hostess Level 2 set). I hadn't really tried Vanilla Double before, and I really liked it, so today I played with three of my new SU sets and made Vanilla Double cards with different attitudes!

First -- Elegant and Serene. This uses the "Baroque Motifs" set and the new In Color colors Blue Bayou and Soft Sky. This is the color combo my friend used, and we both thought it was just a very calming combination:




Second -- Fun, friendly. This is the "In the Spotlight" set that she used for her card, but I added an extra stamp in the background. She tore her lighter strip and bent up the spiral-punched bits, and used a different small accent stamp. She did think up the crisscrossing with the dotted line stamp, which I thought was a really cool idea. Colors are Taken With Teal and Cool Caribbean (retired now). These are difficult colors to properly scan:




And last, a "whimsical" card using "Pick a Petal", with the sentiment coming from "All About U". Colors are Elegant Eggplant and Barely Banana (again, hard to get right from the scan). I "cheated" and used a set of Cuttlebug dies for the flower (don't have my SU scallop punch yet):



If you’re interested in my personal life, read on. If you’re only interested in the cards, you’re done now, you can go on to other blogs.

This has just been a hard week. Had some difficult (possibly ongoing) Teenager Issues, Team New Zealand lost the America’s Cup in an absolute heartbreaker of a race – they lost by 1 second! I still love you, guys – there’s always next time! And then I had my MRI on Monday (because of all my headaches), and on Tuesday afternoon found out I have some spots on the white matter of my brain, so now I have to see a neurologist. I googled “spots white matter” and found basically two things that can cause this. One is just vascular damage from migraines. It’s apparently not anything very serious. The other is Multiple Sclerosis. I feel pretty confident that it’s not MS, but I hate having that “shadow” hanging over me. That party we gave yesterday wore me out, so today I’m just kinda feeling blue and maybe a bit angry at it all. But God and I are working through it all together. Like one of my stamps says, “Honey, God didn’t promise it would be easy. He just promised it would be worth it.” Some days that’s harder to see than others, but I’m definitely hanging on to that promise!

Tomorrow is grocery store day. I hope I’m not as down as I was today, because if I am I probably won’t feel up to it. Has to be done though. No “feel like” about it. Looking forward to the weekend when Bjorn will be home again and I won’t feel like I’m left holding everything all on my own. (Well, human-being-wise. God is always with me.)

8 comments:

TotallyAddinktive said...

Oh man ... what lovely cards - man I so want to come and play in your loft!! Now you'll have to tell me all about the double vanilla vision technique and how to do it ... pweeeeeeese ... I'll send chocolate!! Hey hows your head? hope your doing ok off your meds ... hugs & prayers - Leonie XX

Wendy said...

I love these cards and would also like to kow how to do them. What is the Double Vanilla technique? Please share :)
As a headache sufferer myself, I sure hope you can get some answers and relief.

Wendy

papersunshine said...

Beautiful, great job with the technique! Love them all!

Linda said...

These are so fun! Thanks so much for sharing. Now I know what to do for my next club (giving you full credit, of course!)!

Cathy said...

Would you share the double vanilla technique with us??
Lovely card!!

Heidi said...

I absolutely love these cards. I am very very interested in learning how u did the first card in particular. I think this is one of the prettiest cards i have seen made with the new set. Please tell us more!! I fight with depression also, so I feel your pain. Hang in there!!....Heidi

Stacy said...

Vanilla Double is a Technique Junkies technique, so I highly recommend rushing right over to patstamps.com and signing up for the newsletter. It's well worth the $18 (USD) a year!
The technique is really simple -- stamp an "open" type stamp in Very Vanilla on your medium-colored cardstock. After 45 seconds or so, wipe it with a paper towel. It will smear -- this is okay. Then stamp over it with a solid stamp in dye ink the color of your cardstock. Afterward sponge the dye ink around the edges. That's it! It looks way more complicated, but it's really easy.

Lourin said...

Stacy, Your Cards are Beatufiul! So is your Faith. Keep your Sights on God and lay your fears at the cross.
God Bless you, your in my prayers.
Lourin (SuFriends)