Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Striptease ...

In my craft loft today I decided to experiment. For a long time I've been saving the little strips of paper that come off the backgrounds I make when I trim them down from 5-1/2" x 4-1/4" to 5-1/4" x 4" to layer them on the card base. All kinds of narrow strips of background techniques -- from Tapestry to Alcohol Ink Press, from Colorwash Batik to Heated Pearls, and so many more. I've had in the back of my mind to do some kind of mosaic with them. But last week when my friend and I were playing with my stamps, she was using the circle/wheel stamp from the "In the Spotlight" hostess set (SU), and it just hit me -- I could make a sunrise!

So this morning while my son was hanging out with a friend, I decided to give it a try. I was disappointed to find that I was out of adhesive in my Xyron 510, so I used a double-sided adhesive sheet instead (you know the kind – it’s clear, but it has white backing on one side and orange vinyl covering the top). So first I stamped my image with the red and yellow stripes of a Kaleidacolor pad, then I put the double sided adhesive on the sheet of paper and peeled off the orange vinyl. I used a bit of the vinyl to mask the “sun” and to give me somewhere to put my fingers so I could hold the card. Then I just laid strips of leftovers in a fairly sunbeam-like pattern (I was very symmetrical with this one, putting two of each style on except the center one, and keeping them in the same order on each side). When they were all on there, I covered the entire exposed part (i.e., everything but the “sun”) with Princess Gold (don’t know the manufacturer) embossing powder and heated it. When that had cooled, I took the mask off the “sun” and covered the whole thing with Versamark ink, then embossed with UTEE, and then repeated that step (2 layers of UTEE). It was hard not to get bubbles in the finished product, but I just reheated those bits and got most of them out.



So I really like the way this turned out! It’s got a very “enameled” look to it with all that UTEE, and it uses up scraps that I just couldn’t bear to toss out. Now I want to experiment with other designs/patterns with the blues, greens, purples and pinks that I have. Don’t know when I’ll get to it – I got a box of new goodies from SU today that I have to play with! – but at least I know this will work!

Speaking of my box of goodies – I was so disappointed when I opened it up: I thought I had ordered more! lol I was trying to be frugal, I guess. I love what I got, though – the “Wanted” set, the Doodles wheel, the “Tres Chic” background, some ribbon and a pack of the “Outlaw” paper (which is SO gorgeous despite the name). I’ve actually already been playing with it tonight, but don’t have anything finished to show yet. A couple of days ago I broke down and ordered the new scallop circle punch, a stack of each color of the new In Colors in 8-1/2” x 11”, and a couple of reinkers. My order shows that they are ready to ship the punch, but not the rest of the order (it’s listed as “partial”). Hmmm. Hope I get it in time to prepare for my Open House in a couple of weeks!

Well, it’s been a busy day and I am SO ready for bed. Hopefully I’ll be back tomorrow with some new artwork to show you!

No comments: