Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thanksgiving in August!

I am thankful today. Thankful that I can make cards of all varieties for the Arts and Crafts fair for the Fall Fest -- think I will include some Christmas cards, though. Thinking about doing that kinda actually got me in the mood! (I'm kinda disappointed that I won't have an excuse to buy early those Holiday Mini stamps I was going to buy in October. Guess I'll still have to wait.) I'm thankful that I made a Thanksgiving card the other night! (Go me!) And I'm thankful I finally found an acceptable chair for us to buy for my dad's birthday! (That saga is at the end of today's entry.)

First I'll show you the T'giving card I made the other night. I used a TJ technique called "Rainbow Double" and my Stampin' Up! "Pumpkin Patch" Kaleidacolor pad. I'd forgotten how bright the Old Olive green can be. I think the colors almost look more Mexican than Thanksgivingy, but who says Thanksgiving can't have a little "fiesta" flair, huh? So here is the first Thanksgiving card of the 2007 season:

Totally a "God card", because honestly, He gave me the idea for it, and He helped me get the crimping straight. Seriously. I can't crimp straight to save my life. So just before I did it, I said, "God, please, I really need help here. If You're going to give me the idea to put a crimped piece across the card, You're going to have to help me get the crimping straight." People, I got the entire half-sheet of Old Olive crimped straight. If that ain't God, I don't know what it is!

So, if you're interested in the Saga of the La-z-boy, here it is. I wrote this to Leonie and Ang this morning, but I figured a few other folks who have ever been on Birthday Present Treasure Hunts might appreciate this. Plus I'll put the ending on here, since the saga was not yet finished when I'd written to them. It's long, but y'all already know I'm a writer at heart:

Yesterday I spent the entire afternoon driving around a particular section of town looking for furniture stores. My dad's birthday is tomorrow, and he has this chair that he has sat in to watch TV for YEARS (perhaps eons), and the other day when I sat in it I could feel the springs beneath the cushion, so I decided (meddlesome me) that it was time we got him a new one. Well, my dear husband took this idea and RAN WITH IT, and told me there were a couple of furniture stores down in the semi-general vicinity of where he works, and would I mind running down there to check them out. We live on the outskirts of the city. There is no "running down there" (as in "real quick") involved. It is driving down there for thirty minutes (just to get there) in 100 degree heat, traffic from hell, construction zones also from hell, etc. So first I treated myself to my favorite stamping/scrapping store, THEN I went to the furniture store that I knew was nearby. No luck there. (Did I mention that the chair has to be light blue, have a swivel base and fit specific, somewhat small dimensions in order to fit the living room and its color scheme and please my mother?) So I drove around all over the Particular Section of Town and found not a single other furniture store on the face of the place. I gave up and went to Michael's and picked up a few more craft supplies (hey, when the opportunity presents itself ...) Then I thought, Oh! JCPenney has furniture! So I "ran" up to the nearby (I use that word loosely) mall and trudged into JCPenney (parked a thousand miles away, walked a thousand miles into the store in 100 degree heat with very tired, sore feet in flip-flops that weren't made for long-distance hiking) -- and they didn't have furniture in this particular store. Had I not been so tired already (stamp and craft stores can be so exhausting!) I would have just shopped for clothes, figuring I deserved that small consolation, but I couldn't bring myself to do it, since trying clothes on my sweaty body just didn't sound appealing. So, girlfriends, I called my husband, said I give up, went to Chick-fil-a and got a LARGE diet lemonade, trudged back the thousand miles in the 100 degree heat to my car and drove home, whereupon I promptly fell on the couch and died. Well, okay, I took a nap.

At six pm my husband called. He was at the La-z-boy store. He wants me to get online to their site and look at some of the chairs he's looking at in person. Only the numbers don't match and the online ones have names like "Amity" and "Anderson" that none of the self-respecting chairs in the store would be caught dead with. In fifteen minutes I'm supposed to take Aidan to youth group. I spend twenty minutes on the phone with Bjorn trying to sort out the chair dilemma. Finally Bjorn says he's going up to the Room Store to look around, could I meet him up there after I drop Aidan off. Sure, hon! My feet don't hurt, I'm full of energy and not the least bit hungry for dinner!

I'm getting tired just writing all this! lol -- Bottom line -- we found a chair we like, but it would take 4-6 weeks to get it in in the color that my mother would approve of. So today I'm going up to the La-z-boy store after my phys therapy session (which is in a therapy pool, and all nice and relaxing, which I will shoot to h-e-double-hockey-sticks by driving in city traffic to the La-z-boy store afterward! -- at least we have a Tropical Depression today and it's rainy and cool) to see if any of those chairs will suffice. Apparently they can get those in by Monday.

So now the update: I went over to my mother's before phys therapy to show my mother the chairs I liked online. Gigantic mistake. We spent forever looking up colors she liked, then when I was already running late we went and measured my dad's current chair, which turned out to be WAAAAY smaller than anything we were looking at. I could tell by the look on her face that she was becoming less and less enamoured of this idea, and that if she was going to be paying the chunk of this, she wasn't sure she wanted us to do it anymore. I went to phys therapy a stressed wreck. I came out a limp, relaxed noodle determined that I was smart enough to pick a chair that would look good in their living room, so onward I drove to the La-z-boy. By the grace of God (at least I hope He was in on this), I found a chair. It wasn't light blue, but it WAS in between the fabric swatches I had from their other chair and their sofa. It didn't have the "traditional" look with buttons in the back, but it was small, still tall enough for Dad, and looked very nice. It was, however, about $100 more expensive than we had planned on. But I called my mother, she finally said she would trust me (could I have that in writing, in blood, please?), so that chair will be coming home to my dad's house tomorrow. It wasn't all smooth sailing -- I did end up spending about an hour just chatting with the saleslady, but in all honesty, I didn't really mind. She was a very nice woman, the kind you'd like to end up next to at a church luncheon or something. Now I'm praying my Dad, Mother and even my Grandmother (who wields a LOT of influence around there) will love, adore and be otherwise generally thrilled with The Chair. (Please don't tell my mother the color name is "Black Pearl". It's really not that dark!!)

We're getting more rain from Tropical Depression Erin, bless her heart. I was so sick of the heat, even though we'd only had it for a couple of weeks. I am SUCH a heat weenie!

Gotta go make my dad a birthday card. Cheers until next time!

No comments: