Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Gasp! I stamped!

Can you believe it? I actually got up in the craft loft last night and did stuff! I started on Christmas cards (just six so far) – did some of the basic elements for them (I’m doing the Colorwash Batik technique on them, so got the images stamped, embossed and sprayed over; haven’t ironed out the EP yet). Then I made the 6”x 6” scrapbook page I was planning to do for my “Favorite Pictures” album that I’ve been planning to start ever since I took Stacy Julian’s “Library of Memories” class online summer before last! I’ll post the pic of the page here:

(Stamps: Autumn Leaves/Rhonna Farrer; Paper & Ink: SU River Rock and Always Artichoke; Copper elements: SU & Making Memories)

It’s a picture of me that Bjorn took waaaaaaaaay back in 1991 when we had first moved to Boulder, Colorado. We were in the Rocky Mountain National Park on a hike in October of that year, and there was already snow everywhere (this amazes this West Texas girl!). I like this picture because I look so YOUNG! I was almost 29, but I think I look much younger – 15? Well, at least maybe around 20. But there’s really more to this picture than just that. I was suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and if you look at my eyes, you can see that there’s a tiredness in them. It’s from more than just the hike (we hadn’t actually gone all that far at this point). But I wanted so badly to make Bjorn happy (we were newlyweds), and I truly did love being out in the Rocky Mountains at last, a place I’d dreamed of seeing since I was a young teenager. So I was doing my best to make the most of being out there in nature on such a perfect hiking day. So when I look at this picture, I see a young woman who was determined to push ahead, at least on that day, despite a health situation that was often overwhelming, baffling and at times even debilitating. God gave me the grace I needed on that day, and that’s why I could smile. And honestly, God gave me the grace I needed for each and every day that I struggled with that awful disease, even as He does for whatever I face in my daily life now. Which is a really good thing, because there are days that, if it wasn’t for Him, I can’t truthfully say I’d still be here! That’s why one of my favorite Bible verses is “His grace is sufficient for me, for His strength is made perfect in weakness.”

Anyway, one other thing I like about this picture – I wasn’t wearing any makeup! When I first got this print, I hated it for that reason. I’ve never thought I looked good without makeup. But in this picture, I just look … real. And, strangely enough, that isn’t such a bad thing! lol

1 comment:

yvonne said...

Wow, loved reading the story behind your layout (which is great too!) TFS!