Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Baby card from the loft



Well, hallelujah! I finally had a moment to make a card! Okay, actually I had to make a card – one of my husband’s co-workers is expecting a baby on the 25th and I needed to make a card to go with the gift his department is giving her. At first I was really frustrated making this … she’s one of the few remaining women in the western world who doesn’t want to know what her baby is until it pops out – which normally I would praise highly (that’s the way I was), but it sure makes it difficult in choosing baby clothes and making cards. Why? you say. Yellow and green! you say. Well, yes. And I did go yellow and green (more precisely, Summer Sun and Wild Wasabi), but the card I was using for inspiration had four colors, and that totally threw me because I couldn’t decide what else would look good with those two colors. I finally (after many tries and lots of “ventilation language” under my breath – don’t worry, it was “acceptable” ventilation language!) decided on Groovy Guava and Handsome Hunter (the background color that looks like black in the pic). And of course put it all on textured Very Vanilla.

The stamp set I used is “Here I Am” by Stampin’ Up! – I just got this a few weeks before it went on the retired list in December. I totally love it, and I don’t know why they retired it, unless it was because it had been around awhile. I haven’t had much use for baby stamps until just very recently, but I guess if I’m going to try to sell cards, I should make some baby ones, huh? Anyway, everything about this card is pretty self-explanatory, except that I used the SU “Word Window” punch to make the tabs on the side. I have no idea where the ribbon came from – might have been Club Scrap, but I’m not sure. Brads were from Oriental Trading Company.

If I get a chance tomorrow I want to try a technique called “Brayered Sky”. I think it’ll go perfectly with a cool mosaic-type stamp of a barren tree against a sunset sky that I got from Sparkle-n-Sprinkle just a couple of days ago. Y’know, I really should have made “I will spend much less money” one of my New Year’s Resolutions this year, because I really have started off badly on that count. I’m blaming it on Christmas money, but once I start spending, it gets totally addictive. I went to Archiver’s today for no good reason except to reward myself for having run some tedious errands for my husband. I didn’t spend too much, and I did have a coupon, but still!

Anyway, the next really big project is to prepare for my Valentine’s Day Stamp-a-Stack coming up in a week and a half. I’ve only had one person sign up for it, and two declines out of fourteen invitations sent. There are, like, five people who haven’t even looked at their e-vites yet! And no one else has responded. What does it take to get people to RSVP, for heaven’s sake? And I’ve explained a hundred times that I need to know in advance (especially for a SAS) so I’ll know how many “kits” to prepare and if I need to order any more supplies. Yeesh!

Okay, well, it’s getting late and I’ve gotta get this posted so I can do a couple of quick edits on my story and get to bed. Aidan is in mid-terms week, and he got to choose two exams to be exempt from (had a 95 or better in those classes – he has grades that high in most classes, but you could only choose two), so he doesn’t have to go to school at all tomorrow! Yay! Because it’s gonna be very cold tomorrow, and I prefer to stay home and be cozy with my stamps!

No comments: