Well, as the saying goes, there's a first time for everything. I -- who have never been known as a person who's real huge on challenges -- have broken down and actually participated in a card challenge! Yup, this week amongst the Technique Junkies who Yahoo a veritable challenge craze was started by a member who decided to do the Monday Challenge over at Technostamper's (Mary Jo Price-Williams) blog. She posted hers, and it was like somebody dropped a lit match in an Arizona forest in June. Wildfire, people. So I resisted as best I could all week long (actually, I didn't feel well this week, then Aidan came down with a nasty throat virus and I felt too sorry for him to abandon him and go off to my craft loft), but tonight I screwed up my courage and accepted the challenge! You can find the actual challenge at Mary Jo's blog here. And here is my rendition of it:
I used one TJ technique, on the fan, which is the Crystal Twinks technique, and a Splitcoast tech on the top left, which is Faux Silk. The fan stamp is from Rubberstamp Avenue, and everything else is Stampin' Up!. (Well, okay, technically speaking the Twinks aren't, neither was the acetate, the tissue paper or the black ink -- SU's black "classic" (dye) ink has a purple tinge to it, so I usually use my Ranger Black Distress inkpad to get a true black -- the eyelet isn't SU, neither is the embroidery floss ... but I think everything else is!) The PP is SU's "Bali Breezes" (or maybe it's just one breeze? I'm tired, I can't remember), and the colors I used were Certainly Celery, Groovy Guava and Tempting Turquoise, to go with the PP.
This is a really addicting little card sketch, so I'm sure I'll be making several more of these. Of course, then Mary Jo will post another Monday challenge and I may be caught up in that one and not get back to this one for awhile ... as long as I'm stamping, it's okay!!
BTW, I did make a couple of cards earlier in the week (or maybe it was last weekend) that I didn't have time to scan and blog about because my oldest brother came into town and we were over at my parents' alot. Then I forgot all about them. I wanted to try the TJ technique "Burnished Embossing" because it looked like it would go well with all the currently hot Baroque and Boho stuff. So I decided to use my SU "Baroque" background stamp and do it in burgundy and black (for some reason those sound kinda baroque-ish to me), so these are what I came up with:
I also used the SU "Baroque Motifs" set, and their "Charbon" PP, which they retired in December (I have no idea why -- it's gorgeous paper!) The ribbon is just something I picked up at JoAnn or Michael's or somewhere long ago. And the pearl brads came from Archivers, but I don't remember who makes them.
SO ... it was fun to get up in the craft loft and play after a long absence! I've GOT to start working on my NYResolution to actually SCRAP this year! I had a ton of pictures printed up from Kodak Gallery this week, so I have no more excuses. Well, at least not relating to the photos themselves.
Okay, I've got some Phil and Caddie stuff rolling around in my head, so I'd better go do some writing before I forget and lose it. I hate having great scenes in my head and thinking "Oh, I know I'll remember that!" and then coming back later to write it down and it's just gone, all the groovy details that made the scene click just vanished. So it's off to play the author now. Before I go I will add Technostamper's blog to my list of cool ones.