Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Creativity in Chaos

Well, despite the enormous amount of confusion and chaos my grandmother's situation has engendered in my family (especially in my brain), I managed to get some cards done over the past week or so. Ironically, it's been tougher to find time to post them than it has been to make them!

So first, the cards:

This first one I made for my customer who scraps but doesn't make cards and who occasionally commissions me to make cards for her. It's supposed to be a birthday card. Except that after I made the card I realized that it was supposed to be for her DAUGHTER, not a friend, and the word "friend" on this card is stuck for life, so I gave up and decided to make a different one for her daughter.

ANYway, this card uses a couple of TJ techniques -- the panel on the left is "Silken Mist", to which I added a spritz of Gold Shimmer Mist (this is a "Tattered Angels" product, really beautiful!). The flowers -- from the SU "Occasions" mini catalog which is currently, um, current -- were done with a tech I can't remember the name of (I'm too lazy to run upstairs and look through my TJ newsletters), but it involves dye reinkers, embossing and Lumiere. The patterned paper is a couple of years old and retired SU. I made the embossed scallops on the Pale Plum strip using a ... I can get the words out, I can do it ... M-M-Martha Stewart punch. (Whew, that was hard to say/admit to!) BTW, this card was done using Mary Jo's last week's Monday Lunch Challenge (#8). Her #9 sketch is up this week at her TechnoStamper blog.

This second card I just did for fun. It's a Mojo Challenge card (from Julee Tillman's "Poetic Artistry" blog -- another fun blog with lots of good ideas). I think it was last week's challenge. The top panel is the other half of the Silken Mist w/ Gold Shimmer Spray background I made for the above card. The bottom is a TJ tech background I made awhile back, and even though I wrote on the back what it was, I glued it on the card before I copied it down! (Stress, I'm tellin' ya, makes you do dumb things!) I do know that I added the gold webbing spray just for kicks, it wasn't part of the tech. Whatever. The stamps are both SU, one is the En Francais background set, and the other is a retired set. The hydrangea uses the TJ Penciled Twinks tech. The embossed punch on the half-circles was done using a Fiskars corner punch and then just using a circle punch to make it round instead of a corner. I did realize in trying to make this oval come out right, even with a Creative Memories oval cutting system, that I totally need to save up for a few Nestabilities sets. I can screw up even the most perfectly usable cutting systems! I totally need things that just PUNCH OUT. Anyway, the gold strip is just that, gold shimmer paper. That's also behind the Elegant Eggplant rectangle in the middle.

Well, that's all I'll post for today. I've got two new sketches to play with for this week, so I hope I'll have time to do them. I did make two other cards, one for the little girl we sponsor through Compassion International (her birthday is at the end of next month, so I just hope she gets it in time!!) and the other is the birthday card I will be replacing the "friend" card with.

I have no idea how my grandmother is doing. One day I'll think she's getting ready to go Home to be with Jesus and my granddaddy, and the next I think she might just rally and come home (little h) to Mom and Dad's house again. She has at least three doctors who are all on slightly different pages, so we're kept in a constant state of confusion. My oldest brother is doing such a great job of taking care of her that I feel a bit redundant when I go up to see her. She's glad to have me up there, though, just to have me "there". My emotions are so on a knife edge it's ridiculous. So I'm really glad I've got God, crafting and writing! I think I'd go crazy without them!

No comments: