Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A bit of creativity ... and some satisfaction

I'll start with the creativity, since it's the reason you're here, right? lol

I started this card last night, wanting to have a go at Mary Jo's TechnoStamper Challenge #13 and be on track for once! Here's the sketch:



And here's what I did with it:


I made the "patterned paper" using SU's Whisper White cardstock and the "Thing of Beauty" set from CTMH. Awhile back when I was attempting a technique (I think it was "Opalite Infusions") I started out with this combination, and was really struck by how pretty the simplicity of it was, so I promised myself that one day I would come back and just use "Thing of Beauty" in black on white. Well, lo and behold, I did! And it became the background paper for this card! I thought it looked a bit Oriental, so I quickly dashed off a sheet of Metallic Alcohol Roll background in Red Pepper, Butterscotch and Gold on white shimmer paper and used that for the lefthand panel (for some reason, red and gold seem very Chinese to me), then stamped a portion of a Chinese lettering background stamp (Hero Arts, I think) on it in black Staz-on. Then I decided to be a bit random and stick the James 1:17 verse (retired SU) on for the small rectangle panel (BTW, that's my mom's favorite verse!). Both rectangles are mounted on gold shimmer paper, and, as you can plainly see, I used a leftover strip of the Metallic Alcohol Roll piece as a little highlight behind the verse. So it's all kind-of a strange combination of things, but I think it works.

So on to the "satisfaction" part. I sent SU demo support an e-mail this morning telling them I wasn't incredibly happy with the way my resignation had been handled, that I thought they should acknowledge a resigning demo's letter and let them know exactly what's going to happen, what the sequence of things is. I got a very nice e-mail back in which the support person explained that they had, indeed, dropped the ball on me, that several of their support staff had been on the Incentive Trip that week and they were short-staffed, so I didn't get the communication from them that I should have. (I.e., they do usually do exactly what I had thought they should -- communicate with the resigning demo and tell them what's next.) They also discovered that I had been told I could still place orders through the end of April, which wasn't true, so they did offer to let me have my online access and ordering access back (not the OEX, but at least over the phone). I declined that, since I had already sent out an e-mail to my customers telling them I was no longer allowed to take orders, and I figured trying to re-instate all that was just too confusing. But at least they were courteous and civil and I felt better at the end of the e-mail (and I sent them a reply thanking them for their offer, etc.) SO ... I guess they aren't ogres after all! lol -- but I am glad I'm getting out now. As Gandalf said to King Theoden after he had "exorcised" Saruman from him (in The Two Towers) ... "Breathe the free air again, my friend." Aaaahhh, I shall, indeed, do so!

2 comments:

MJ said...

I love the card, it is wonderful and the background piece is really refreshing! Great job on the sketch, thanks for playing.

Orion Designs said...

Lovely card Stacy!

Vicki