Sunday, April 13, 2008

Card frenzy

Well, I was productive this weekend! Shows what can happen when you send your family off for a couple of days! lol

Aidan and Bjorn went to the Junior Classical League State Convention (competition) in Houston on Friday and Saturday, so I had two days all to myself. Oddly, I was horrifically sleepy both days, so I slept more than I really should have, but I also worked in spending time at my folks' (I spent the night over there), grocery shopping, a bit of housework, and time in the loft, as well. So, without further ado, here are the results:


First, this is actually THIS WEEK'S TECHNO-STAMPER'S CHALLENGE!! I'm on track again! (Last week's is in my last post.) I used the TJ technique "Rainbow Brilliance" from this month's newsletter on the left-hand panel (SU bkgd stamp "Pretty Posies"), and then the other stamps are ... um ... I'll have to look up who made the large flower stamp -- it's a set of clear circle stamps I got at Archivers a couple of months ago. The small flower is from a TAC set. I had just bought this butterfly punch a few days ago at Michaels, at their "huge" sale (40% off), and BROKE it trying to punch through a sheet of shimmer cardstock! No one told me you really shouldn't use these kinds of punches on thick CS (doesn't work well on SU textured CS, either), so I went back and bought a new one (thankfully they were still on sale). At just $6 it wasn't really a big deal, but if it had cost much more I would've probably tried to get a refund. ANYWAY ...


The second card uses another TJ technique called Createx Creations. I used silver and blue pearlized Createx on black glossy cardstock, and it came out SO COOL! It looks like water (specifically, ocean water) splashing up, so of course out came a nautical stamp to compliment it. I stamped the schooners (Rubberstamp Ave.) in white Staz-On, and it gave it a kind of stormy, ghostly effect. So I decided to use a scripture about being brave or not fearing or something to offset that. Came up with the Psalm 31:24 verse about "Be strong and take courage all you who put your hope in the Lord." I stamped it in SU Whisper White Craft ink and embossed it -- to my horror the embossing powder just stuck to that whole section of the card in one big clump! So I brushed it off and wiped the whole thing off with a baby wipe, let that dry and then used an EMBOSSING BUDDY (duh)this time, then tried again. I still had a bit of clumping in a couple of spots, so I had to drag out the ol' fine paintbrush to brush out the excess powder, and in the end I'm not happy with the way it came out (I should've just used the white Staz-On again), but overall I like the card.


And last, the card I made late last night when I knew I couldn't sleep because Bjorn and Aidan were on the road coming home (they got in at 2:30am!). This one is based on a sketch I found at Michelle Wooderson's blog (found her blog through a chain of other blogs). The green PP is SU, the multi-colored PP is Basic Grey. Stamp is SU. Michelle's card used the concept of "inchies" (stamps that fit into a one-inch square, even if they don't exactly fit) for the two squares, so I just allowed the flowers to be cut off on the edges to fit that. For my buttons I punched circles out of the BG PP and adhered them to the back of a couple of SU clear buttons. Pretty simple card, but it was fun to make.

So, how did Aidan do? In his division (Latin I) he won 1st place in Latin Grammar and in the Decathlon (a sort-of "general knowledge" test)!! He got "Summa Cum Laude" (top honors) in the Pentathlon (a test all the kids had to take). And his Certamen team (the sort-of "quiz show" team) got 2nd place in the Novice division! These are State level honors -- so he did quite well!! He could go on to Nationals in Latin Grammar and Decathlon if he wants to -- he hasn't decided yet how he feels about that.

Okay, I've gotta go get in the shower. We skipped church today since none of us got any real sleep before about 3am. We are, however, still lunching at my parents', so I need to look and smell good! lol

3 comments:

MJ said...

All of these cards are beautiful Stacy! And please tell Aidan congratulations! How exciting.

Michelle said...

All the cards are very pretty, but that second one is absolutely GORGEOUS!! It's so intense and perfect!

Beth said...

Stacy love your blogand all your cards, had to comment on the second card here that one is awesome the creating of the waves behind the ship is perfect and so realistic looking