Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It's all paid off!!

Well, this is a momentous day -- I finally paid off my credit card debt and cancelled my card!!! Yesterday my dad went ahead and gave me my little bit of "inheritance" from my grandmother, and I used the majority of it to pay off the credit card I had opened to use in my Stampin' Up! business (and had abused, unfortunately). Don't panic, it wasn't a huge number, Granny didn't have much money left after med bills to leave huge chunks to her grandkids. But it was a tremendous blessing to be able to get out from under that, to be able to show my husband that I really do care about our finances, that I really am on the "team" here, that I'm not just a selfish pig. I mean, I could've used that money to have Lasik surgery or something, but it was more important to me to make the gesture of faith to him than to be selfish with it.

If none of that paragraph made sense it's because I am really struggling with coming off the steroids my doc put me on for the sinus infection. Saturday afternoon I felt like I had the flu, and I knew I couldn't take the stuff anymore, but you can't just stop taking them abruptly. I called my doctor and she told me to taper off more quickly, so I did, taking the last one yesterday morning. But instead of feeling better, I actually feel worse right now. I feel like every bit of energy has been drained out the bottom of my feet, and whatever little brain power I might have once owned is now drowning in a head full of weird wooziness. It's almost like a really mild version of adrenaline insufficiency. So if it keeps up too long I'll have to see if it's something abnormal or if it just takes awhile to recover. I will never, ever take steroids by mouth again, though. I can't imagine anything being worth feeling this screwed up.

So I haven't gotten much done at all the last few days. I did finish making and printing my index images, and if I can get my brain in gear long enough I'd like to finish updating my descriptive index tonight, get that printed out.

Oh, cool news flash: I did have a little money left over from the "inheritance", so I ordered one of those Just Rite photopolymer stamp making kits I've seen where you can make your own clear stamps!! I have been dying for months to know if these are any good, but they cost about $150, and I couldn't ever quite justify going for it. But I thought, hey, now I might as well see if these things are any good. I hope it's worth it! It would be so cool to be able to make my own stamps from my own images, especially when it's something as simple as a Bible verse I want in a particular version, or stamps of family photos (supposedly this kit will make those -- don't know about photo-realistic, but at least "artsy" quality). Also, I've seen some cool "old book illustration" type graphics on the web that are no longer under copyright, so I thought those might work, too. We'll see!

The rest of the money that I won't be saving I would like to use on renovating my craft loft. I totally need to get rid of anything and everything that combines the word "orange" with either "shag" or "velvet". I deserve better! So I want pegboard on the walls and new flooring. And maybe a bit of new shelving. The hardest thing I'm trying to figure out is how to deal with my SU cardstock (8-1/2 x 11). Right now it's all in file folders up on a shelf, but I'd love to have it stacked vertically instead. It's just that there's this issue with room ... I don't know if the folders are better or if the vertical thing would be better. Anyway ...

Okay, off to get some indexing done. I really hope to have some more actual STAMPING to show off soon! Hang in here with me ... it'll get better!

3 comments:

Jen Barrett said...

Stacy,
If you have room, get a small file cabinet for your 8 1/2" X 11" paper. I keep mine in hanging file folders. It works great because you can print the name of the color on a swatch of the cardstock and put it in the folder tab. It makes finding your colors super-duper easy. I keep scraps of each color in quart-size ziploc baggies and file those in the front of the folders. Anyway, it works great for me, so thought I'd share. Good luck & happy stampin'!!

Stacy said...

Jen -- you rock!! I was gonna go with vertical on my pegboard wall, but now that I think about it, we do have empty file cabinets and it would actually save more space to go with those than use up all that wall space. THANK YOU for the tip! You have just saved me $150!!!

Susan said...

Interesting your comments about the steroids. I had the same experience coming off of steroids for asthma, so I told my pulmonologist and he just looked at me like I had 2 heads...