Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The joy (???) of steroids ...

Okay, so I'm on steroids for two weeks to try to rein in this stupid chronic sinus infection. I think I mentioned that last time. NOT anabolic steroids, panic not! But still ... they have me agitated and hyper and not sleeping well, BUT ...

Today I was a madwoman in the craft loft! Aidan was gone on an all-day field trip to Houston, so I had all kinds of time to play. I made TONS of backgrounds! You don't get to see them yet because I haven't made any into cards, but trust me, they're everywhere. I used gesso and colorwash sprays on glossy black CS, glued crushed, dried herbs to cardstock, made a weird mixture of water and gum arabic powder mixed with Future Floor Finish, spritzed it on white glossy CS and then brayered over it with rainbow inks, and did my own versions of the "Simple Green" tech from the latest TJ using Windex, then (separate piece) the Clorox Daily Disinfectant, since I know it has bleach in it. Oddly, at least at last glance, the Windex was looking cooler. All but the "Simple Green" tech were from other sources on the web, found by surfing blogs that linked me up with other blogs ... it never ends!

BUT ... the night before I had finished a couple of cards, and I cannot WAIT to show you my Singing Cowboy!

I used three TJ techniques on this card! The blue piece is Faux Denim (which nearly ruined my SU White Craft pad because I was impatient on the drying stage). The cowboy himself is Ink Washed. And the cattle brands background was a sort of majorly morphed version of my own TJ technique, the "Debossed Rainbow Applique" or whatever it ended up being called as a bonus tech on the latest CD. Anyway, instead of rainbow ink I just swiped on various brown Distress Inks, then brayered on WAY too much Liquid Applique before pressing my background stamp into it, and by the time I heated it, you really couldn't see much of the stamp's impressions at all. So I just used my Stamp-a-ma-jig and inked over the impressions with Walnut Ink Distress Ink. IRL it looks really cool because you get a sort-of shadow effect with the texture.

ANYhoo, the Cattle Brands Backgrounder is from Cornish Heritage Farms. All other stamps are from the "Singing Cowboy" sheet from Artistic Outpost. I'm thinking this will be my Dad's Father's Day card ...

Also, I finished up a card using a technique I got from Mary Jo's Techno Stamper blog the other day that involves chipboard and stamped tissue paper with Mod Podge. It's a fun technique with an interesting look to it. I stuck a little "rosebud" on it that I'd made with a template and then stamped over. The card uses the "Pretty Petals" background from SU. The "smile" sentiment is a rubon also from SU.



So hopefully tomorrow I will still have this steroid-charged energy and will actually make some cards with the piles of backgrounds I have! I'm actually working on a card for MJ's challenge this week that, of course, has nothing to do with any of those backgrounds, but I hope I can get it finished and move on to something else. My problem will be embellishments. When I get kinda "frenzied" or in a hurry like this, I have trouble slowing down and doing embellishments well. Sometimes they are the bane of my existence! Maybe that's because I grew up with only brothers, no sisters, and now live with a husband and son, no daughters, so I don't tend to "think girly", which may be a requirement for good embellishment use??

Anyway, hopefully with a dose of Melatonin I will sleep better tonight and not be so WIRED tomorrow!!!

1 comment:

Robyn Phelan Sharp said...

Beautiful cards...the hill country is "heaven's doorsteps"...hope the blue bonnets were beautiful this year...