Monday, July 21, 2008

Inspiration, Part 1

I will try my utmost to be brief tonight -- brief for me being less than a 300-page novel, lol.

I have been working hard the last few days, mainly because I have been Inspired! Several of the blogs I subscribe to or just have to go look up (because they haven't discovered FeedBlitz yet -- if you don't have a FeedBlitz or similar e-mail subscription on your blog, GET ONE!! It makes life so much easier for the lazier among your readers!) have had some great sketches, challenges or just plain wonderful cards that have inspired me, so I've got some goodies to show you!

I'll do two today, then two next time (hopefully tomorrow).

First, there is a new challenge blog out called Y.OU K.NOW Y.OU R.OCK and their very first challenge is to see what CD you have in your CD player, look at the cover and let it inspire you. Okay, I don't use my CD player anymore, I only use my MP3 player. And pretty much all I have on there at the moment is the Newsboys and Phil Joel. Oh, and some U2. So I kinda cheated a little bit because I knew if I just hit the forward button to the next song it would more than likely be Newsboys, and so I grabbed a Newsboys CD (you knew it would be Newsboys before I ever even mentioned them, didn't you?), and this is the one I got:

(The last one with Phil on it! Sob!!)

This one was pretty straightforward, and I didn't have to be incredibly imaginative, so I probably won't get points for creativity, but here's what I did with it:

I hope the Newsboys won't mind that I turned them into flowers/weeds. The lettering at the top is actually white, not blue, but for some reason my scanner and image program refused to believe that, no matter how I tweaked it. All papers are SU except for the green one which is CTMH. Oddly, it didn't take the black ink as well as the SU ones. Colors are Real Red, CTMH's version of Wild Wasabi, Bashful Blue (I think), Sahara Sand and Summer Sun, as well as Whisper White and Basic Black. Inks are SU's White Craft and Ranger Distress Black Soot. Stamps are SU's "Artistically Asian" (sentiment) and Gel-a-tins "Wild Things". I had the hardest time finding a sentiment that could go at the top that was all on one line and not script, and that would make some semblance of sense on a card. So, no, I may not get points for creativity, but I should get an "A" for effort because it was hard to get these stinkin' little rectangles to behave themselves and line up properly! And I made four of these so I can hopefully sell some at the craft fair in October.

And here's the second one:

Julee Tilman, over at Poetic Artistry, home of the Mojo Monday challenge, had a great, easy technique on her blog on Saturday. She called it Letterpress, and it's basically inking up the bottom inside of a Cuttlebug folder, putting your paper in, and running it through the CBug upside down to get a debossed background instead of an embossed one. You can click the link here to see what she did with hers. I made several different ones, and here's the first card I made with one of the backgrounds:
It's a bit, um GREEN and YELLOW, ay? Oh, well. I based it on an old Techno Stamper sketch (one of the first ones), and also used the Cbug Swiss Dots folder to make the right-hand side of the card. The image is my own Jane Elizabeth stamp, and I also used a Japanese-style butterfly from Art Neko. I stamped "dream" on the ribbon (SU ribbon) with SU Garden Green Craft ink. I can't remember who makes the "dream" stamp -- it came with a set of clear stamps I got at Archivers.

So anyway, there are two of my four Inspiration Cards for the weekend/early this week. I hope you enjoyed looking at them, and I will be back soon with the other two. Until then, happy stamping!

4 comments:

Deb Neerman said...

WoW! WoW!! Did I say, "WOW!!"

This is wonderful, Stacy, I just love it!!

You really rocked our challenge ... thanks so much for playing!

~Hugs, Deb

Julie Koerber said...

WOWZA! I'm with Deb - you rocked this challenge!! Your card is way pretty! Glad you played and rocked out with us!! :-)

Stacy said...

Thanks, y'all! I'm ... floored that you liked it so much! I just had fun playing, so, like I said on your blog, I'm sure I'll be playing along on more challenges!!

Juliann said...

Hi I was just stopping by to see your card for the challenge!
It is sooo pretty, I love the layout, I love when there is just the silhouette of flowers and how pretty this came out on the black background with those nice vibrant colors!
I don't even think the band mates would mind being weeds!
Have a great week!