Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Spiritual-y things

I hear voices in my head. Often. No, I'm not schizophrenic, and I'm not Joan of Arc. I just watch too many movies. When I wrote "spiritual-y things" I was hearing Mr. Lunt of Veggie Tales fame saying that, like he said "We're supposed to be singing about pirate-y things!" in the "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" song. Not from that movie ... from a Veggie Tales video that came out years ago. The Pirates' first appearance. I can't remember if it was Josh and the Big Wall or not. Anyway, if you don't know, he's the short gourd in the middle. And for those of you who NEED to know these things, I have a crush on Larry the Cucumber. Not as big as my crush on Phil Joel's hair, but still ...

ANYway ... I have a couple of "spiritual-y things" to show off today. The first is a card I made yesterday using a stamp I got from Eureka Stamps just a couple of days ago. They had a big sale awhile back and I ordered a few UMs from them, and just got them in (they're usually more prompt than that, but they were swamped from this sale). I LOVE this stamp! I love the scripture, I love the script, I love the little doodle-y things, and I love that it's BIG. This is a 5" x 7" card, so you can tell it's a rather large stamp!

I had the color scheme in my head before any other aspect of this card. As I was working on the scrapbook page that follows a few days ago, I laid a piece of chocolate brown paper on top of this gorgeous green paper and thought, "That is a terrific color combo that I would never have put together intentionally!" The green doesn't show up properly in the scan -- it's a Club Scrap piece, brighter than the SU Wild Wasabi, but still kinda in that same vein. Anyway, my next thought was that a silhouette stamp done in chocolate brown would look great stamped on that paper. So I pulled out my Gel-a-tins "Wild Things" set, stamped them with SU's Chocolate Chip Craft Ink and embossed with Clear Ultra Gloss EP. (Sadly, in the scan they look black, but trust me, IRL they are shiny and chocolatey and look really awesome on this bright wasabi-ish green!) I stamped the scripture in the same ink, but just heat set it rather than embossing it. (I don't know why I haven't mastered the art of inking up a stamp with craft/pigment ink after doing this for ten years -- I almost always get one bit that's more heavily inked than another, especially if the pad is juicy, like a lot of the SU Craft pads are ... *SIGH*). Anyway, I used another Club Scrap paper for the background (the green on green stems PP), and there you have it! I really love this card. I'm thinking of giving it to my pastor for his birthday, which just happens to be July 4! He'll be at our house that morning for our annual 4th of July Parade Watching Breakfast Potluck/Party.

Our little town has a yearly parade that goes right by our house, so we always hold a party for our friends and family to come eat breakfast and watch the parade. It's a lot of fun, even if it is horribly early (they close the street 1-1/2 hours before the parade starts, so people have to get here by dawn's early light!). It being Texas, and usually being HOT, we have the parade early in the day. There's usually other things going on throughout the day, too, but this is our main gig. It's pretty cool -- the parade participants throw out candy and goodies for the kids, and it's so "home-town", but in a quality, good way -- sometimes cheesy, always terribly patriotic, and lots of home-town pride! Wouldn't have it any other way!

So, anyway, back to the "spiritual-y things" -- I think I already mentioned that I bought a book at Archivers a couple of weeks ago called "Scrapbooking Your Faith" or something like that. It's a great book, the newest of several in my "faithbooking" collection, but there was just something about this one that grabbed my attention and made me buy it. I decided I would just sit this book on my crafting desk and whenever I felt like scrapping my faith, (um, that's "scrapBOOKING" my faith, not chucking it, you understand!), I would just open it up, turn to a topic and go for it. So that's what I did a few days ago. I opened up to the first topic -- "I Believe ..." and went with it. And this is what I ended up with:


The background paper is by a company called FancyPants. I'd just bought it the same day I bought the book, but with no purpose in mind, I just liked it. It turned out to be a perfect fit for the postcard. I've had this postcard for years, since before we moved home to Texas, and I just love the way this painter imagines Jesus to look -- very strong and yet very peaceful. There seems to be a lot of love on His face, too, I think. So, when I started thinking about this page, I just knew I had to finally put this postcard to good use and make it part of a faithbooked page. Anyway, it was also a good chance to use the lyrics to one of my very favorite Rich Mullins songs (which I slightly adapted to make them more of a "creed" than a song).

I used my Cricut "Jasmine" cartridge to make the title; the paper I used for the main letters is some old Basic Grey I had laying around. I'm not sure where the chocolate brown paper came from. I used my Cricut "Home Accents Solutions" cartridge to make the corner flower-things (are those flowers or kinda weeds? whatever, I like 'em). I stamped very lightly over the Bible verse with a Gel-a-tins "Wild Things" flower. Oh! And I used my Basic Grey "Notch and Die" tool to make the slots that the postcard is stuck into. I hardly ever use that thing, so I'm always thrilled when I come up with a use for it!

I didn't make it up into the loft today -- had to go to the bank to fix a couple of issues with the new way we're doing the budget (do not get me started on this), run to the pharmacy, take my weird-acting cat to the vet (doesn't want to eat, and he's normally a pig -- turns out it's probably not anything serious, just a delayed reaction to his shots he got a couple of weeks ago ... we hope), and work on cleaning house. I used my new Shark Steam Mop in my kitchen. I haven't mopped in there in too long, so went over it twice. The mop-head-cloth-thingies (I used two) were black. Very scary. I obviously need to mop more often. The tile is brown, though, so it's hard to tell. (Funny aside ... when I started to type in "Steam" a minute ago, my fingers automatically typed "Stamp"!! lol)

So now my back is nice and sore from mopping AND from skiing last night. Yes, skiing. We bought "WeSki" for our Wii (yes, it's spelled "We" because it's not made by Nintendo) and finally got around to playing it last night. It is a blast! Aidan and I had fun practicing our freestyle jumping. When we finally looked up at the clock, it was 11:40pm!! Too much fun. But, yep, I'm sore today. Am I out of shape or what??

Gotta run. I think Bjorn is feeling abandoned, even if I did do a lot of housework earlier today ...

More later!!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I love the card and faith page. The background paper for the faith page is so cool looking.