Saturday, July 12, 2008

The style gamut

I'm still waiting for comments on my blog about whether you want only part of my entries in your e-mail subscriptions, or if you want the whole thing. Please let me know ... I want your e-mailed-blog-experience with me to be enjoyable!

I can't believe it's Saturday night and I've actually done THREE cards in two days! And, just like today's post title suggests, they vary widely in style! But that actually helped me keep from having "mojo issues", I think. I think it's funny how everybody talks about "losing their mojo" or "having good mojo" in their stamping -- I went to Permian High School -- the original "Friday Night Lights" school -- out in West Texas, and our battle cry was "Mo-Jo! Mo-Jo!" I mean, it was even on our high school building, bigger than the name of the school! If our team was losing, we started screaming that at the top of our lungs, and almost invariably the game turned around and we won. We had a slew of state championships in the years I was a kid out there. Then a few years after I graduated and went off to college, they started tanking. So even awesome high school football teams can eventually lose their Mojo I guess. But the Black & White Permian "Mojo" Panthers used to strike fear and terror into the heart of every 5A high school team in the state of Texas!! That ol' "Go Mojo!!" was enough to paralyze the opposing team! Okay, back to 2008 ...

Anyway, thought I'd show you what I did yesterday and today. First I'll show you my card for this week's TechnoStamper challenge. This is the sketch:


And here's what I did with it, after much labor and toil (and a tiff with my husband that sent me storming out the door and off to Michael's to cool off -- couldn't have finished this without the paper pad I bought called "Zen Papers" ... don't remember at the moment who it's by), once again proving that all things work together for good ... (Sorry, Lord! Maybe I shouldn't joke about that, even if it DID work out well in the end!):

The kitties stamp, as well as the cat whose head is seen in two of the circles are from Onyx Expressions. I'm not sure about the other stamps in the circles -- I thought I was sure they were from Art Neko, but now that I think about it they may actually be Stone House Stamps. I have it noted in my storage notebook, but that's upstairs and I'm too lazy to run up there to check. Anyway, I DO know that the "cat" kanji in the bottom right-hand corner is Art Neko, from the "Babysitter Cats" set. The red/black paper and the oriental script paper are from the "Zen Papers" pad.

So, okay, next is the card I made for my mom's birthday tomorrow. She'll be 76, and she's depressed about the number (why that's worse than 75 I don't know, but maybe I will when I'm there), and she's depressed about the state of the world and the problems her kids and grandkids are having, and she's not in good health ... so I thought I'd do some cheering up for her card. (In general she's not a depressed person, but since she lost her mother back in March, it's been a little easier for her to get a bit down.) So here's the card I made her. I have to tell you God had to help me with this one -- I wasn't pleased with the way it started out, but after a prayer for help, it started coming together nicely, and I really like how it turned out:


The background for this (under the scripture) is a TJ technique called AI (Alcohol Ink) Float. I love this tech, it's really easy and looks REALLY cool no matter what colors you use. The yellow in the corner is really a bit darker -- there's no white on the cardstock -- but I had a dickens of a time trying to get the colors right after I'd scanned it. Anyway, the stamps are Basic Grey, and I wasn't sure I was gonna be able to make them work. There are several of them, and they're meant to be layered, like the designs on a lot of their recent papers, and I'm not that talented. But, like I said, God came to my rescue and helped me get my brain around it, and I think it turned out okay. I think next time I would make the masking over the scripture a little wider so the design stamp wouldn't be right where the words are, but it's still readable, so it's okay.

The scripture stamp is ... I think Crazy Mountain Stamps. The corner punch is a Fiskars punch. And the PP in the back is SU Bali Breezes.

And now for something completely different.

When I saw the Splitcoast Stampers challenge for this week, for some odd reason the focal stamp of this card popped right into my head. I had just gotten it free from Scrapbook.com as part of a promotion, and was dying to use it, but didn't have any great ideas. So the sketch and the stamp came together, and voila! -- this is the result:


Isn't this little guy from Imaginisce adorable? And, no, he's not my "regular" style, but I LOVE penguins, and the whole concept of a penguin in trunks at the beach ... I couldn't pass that up. I eventually went and bought his girlfriend, Penguin Chick, at another store (Scrapbook.com was out), but haven't stamped her yet. Anyway, the accompanying seahorse and fishies, as well as the sentiment, are stamps from a Heidi Grace set (also not really my style, but it's all about the OCEAN, y'know?), and the snowflake is from an SU set. I drew the "NO" circle myself, which is why it isn't positioned perfectly, but, hey, you get the idea. I used the SU classic inkpads and blender pens, and the ol' "squish the inkpad and use the ink in the top of the lid" technique to color the stamps. I am NOT a good color-er (colorist?) by any stretch. All these people with their Copic markers totally intimidate me. I saw a book I have got to have at a Canadian website today, I think it's called "Watercolouring with Markers" or something. It's a how-to book, and it's all about using WATER-based markers (which I have) to make beautiful watercolor effects with your stamps. The book is $25, so I'll have to save up, but it's still a heckuva lot cheaper than a set of Copics! (I have a set, BTW, small one, but I don't use them much, as they do intimidate me!) I used Stickles to make Penguin Dude's trunks sparkle a little (on the yellow), on his Dreamsicle, the fishies, the seahorse's middle stripe and, of course, the snowflake.

Anyway, that's the fruit of my labor so far this weekend! I've got to start getting ready for the craft fair in October. I really need to up my inventory, and there's never any telling when a sinus infection or some other ridiculous health issue will take me out of my loft for a few days, so I need to make hay while the sun shines! I need to think of this as a JOB (albeit an incredibly fun one!) and just get myself up there in the loft as often as possible! It's not like I don't have enough stamps and I'll get bored with my selection! lol

Happy rest-of-the-weekend, and I hope your MOJO gets cranking!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

I can't answer your poll about the e-mail because I come directly to your blog to read it. I don't get e-mail updatees. I loved all your cards especially the one with the penguin. I am big on penguins and moose. I need to go see about ordering that penguin. I think you should make up a few of those penguin cards to sell at the craft fair. I know I would buy some if I saw them.

Stacy said...

Thanks, Lynn! I think I'll follow your advice about those penguin stamps -- who couldn't love those guys?

I'm glad you're still sticking with my blog, BTW! Nice to know I haven't driven people off yet! lol

Lynn said...

I love reading your blog....and your designs inspire me. Now if I could get my craft room organized, I can create more to show on my blog. I bookmarked where you said the penguin stamps are because I may have to purchase them, too...LOL. You help my habit by giving me other places to purchase stamps...LOL!!!!