Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Coasting on in ...

Whoa, that was bad, I know (considering that I'm going to show you one of the sets of coasters that I made -- or, well, "filled"). I LOVE these glass coasters that I got at Michaels. You just slip your photo in the little plastic pouch and you have an instant photo coaster! And it's glass, which I always think is uber cool anyway (I love glass bricks). So how simple to just stamp something and put that in instead of photos. And CHARGE for it! Mwuhahahahaha ...

Okay, here's how the set looks when it's in its little holder:

I did all the coaster pics Michelle Zindorf style, with brayering and sponging. I decided to use the same set ("Wild Things" from Gel-a-tins), and the same configuration of the individual stamps on each picture, with a couple of exceptions: I kept the wildflowers in the same config (basically just didn't move them on the acrylic block), but I did stamp the grass differently each time, and I put in a dragonfly once. (I was going to do a butterfly on one but I forgot and decided not to go put it back in.) I decided to do different types of evening skies, culminating with a late-evening/early nighttime one. They aren't in any order in the holder. I liked the blue one best so it's in front.

Here are the individual coasters laid out for you to see. I had them sideways for some reason when I took the pic (partly to prevent glare), thinking I could just rotate them in my photo program, but when I did they looked goofy, so I just kept the pic at the original angle. Unfortunately, on the red sunset you can sorta see the plastic protective sleeve the pics go in (it's a little buckled and I took the pics outdoors so there was a bit of sunlight in play there). It's not that visible in Real Life (unless a bright light is shining on it), but at least you can get the idea (click on the picture to see it larger):



Anyway, I'm trying to decide what to charge for these sets. There was actually a lot of work involved in this one, since I did all that sponging and brayering (and deciding about colors, etc.). The other set may not be so involved, but either way, it's "art", right? Or at least "crafts". I'm thinkin' in the $15 range. The coaster set itself was $13. Any suggestions?

I've been finishing up another Christmas card set I started yesterday, and now just need to go stamp the sentiment inside. I don't put sentiments in my "regular" cards, but for a box of Christmas cards, I figured I'd better do that. So, off I go to finish that up and play around with ideas for the second coaster set. I just got the SU "Pocket Silhouettes" set today, which I had ordered with the coasters in mind, so I can't wait to play with them! That is, if the Phil Joel songs going 'round and 'round in my head don't drive me to the funny farm. Don't get me wrong -- I totally LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this new album. It's just that my brain latches on to new songs and sticks them in a kind of jukebox that it randomly selects from 24/7 until I get used to the songs and they go into the General Jukebox where all the songs I've ever heard are stored. Then I just get random songs going in my head 24/7. I kid you not. All the time. For two years it was nothing but Newsboys and Phil's other three albums (well, almost nothing but). Then some 80s Euro-pop started filtering back in, along with this one old U2 song that fills my brain when nothing else is there ("Stranger in a Strange Land" for some very strange reason -- it's not even in my top 20 fav U2 songs!) And the occasional 70s thing that I'd hear at the grocery store would dig its way up through the pile of songs I've collected since my birth 45 years ago. I guess it's because I'm a musical person. Some days I like it. Some days it makes me a raving nutcase, even if, as with these new PJ songs, I really love the music that's doing it to me!

Well, I hope you have a blessed day! And may all the music you hear in your head today be exactly what you want to hear!

6 comments:

DeStampin'Corner said...

These coasters are beautiful!

Shirley said...

This is an order, Stacy. You must make a card like each of those. They are gorgeous!!!

Debbie Slone said...

You should at least charge $20 for these. They are gorgeous!

Debby said...

These are incredibly fabulous! Thank you!

Deby said...

WOW! Simply gorgeous!

n8tvtexan said...

I agree, $20 is a good price. They are stunning!