Tuesday, October 07, 2008

I has a pwobwum ...

I just deposited my Craft Fair money today. And then I went and spent over half of it on more stamping stuff!! Gaaaaaa! Clearly, I have a spending problem!!!

But do let me explain. I've been wanting to jump on the Just Rite Stampers bandwagon for awhile now. All the "pro stamping bloggers" use them because they're customizable, and you can even do your own Bible verse stamps with them (which might be easier than doing it with the Just Rite Make Your Own Stamps kit). So I e-mailed the Just Rite people a few weeks ago asking them what they recommended for what I would be using them for, and they answered with some helpful stuff. So tonight I ordered what they recommended. Not from them, because they, of course, charge full price, but I found a place called Cutter's Creek that sold the stuff for a couple of dollars less AND give free shipping if you spend over $20. Given that most stores at least start you at $50 (usually more) for free shipping, I thought that was a great deal! The only drawback with them is that they're not "instant shippers" -- they're a small home-based business, and a lot of their inventory isn't actually on-site, they have it shipped from their suppliers, then ship it out, so it can take up to two weeks (I'm guessing) to get your order. But since I'm in no hurry, and the prices were better, I decided I'd give 'em a shot.

And then when we were eating out at a local Thai food place with Bjorn's sister, my dad and the three of us the other night, there was a painting hanging on the wall (for sale) that I just fell in love with. It was just a simple painting of a blue sky and falling umbrellas, lots of them, little ones. Something about it appealed to me, the whimsy of it, I guess. But I couldn't decide where we would put the painting even if we could afford it (I didn't even bother to look at the price). And then a lightbulb went on over my head (really annoying the other customers, lol), and I realized I could recreate that painting by doing a Michelle Zindorf-type technique for the sky, and just stamping little black umbrellas all over! So I had to order an umbrella stamp, didn't I? And, wouldn't you know it, umbrella stamps are incredibly hard to come by, unless you want beach umbrellas or mixed-drink umbrellas. I finally found one in a set of "silly little things" (my term) at Clear Dollar Stamps, so I ordered that, and then I fell in love with a "Faith" set they had (it actually looks kinda biker, and for some reason that appealed to the wild rocker chick in me! hee hee), so I had to order both of those. They weren't expensive, but by the time I paid shipping ... there went more than half my Craft Fair money. *SIGH*

Anyway, I will now show you one of the projects I made that I just love, but nobody bought:



I am horribly embarrassed to admit that I can't find my info on where I got the idea for this. It was on a blog, and it was tubes filled with coffee "accessories" like cinnamon, etc. When I saw it, I knew it would be perfect to make some with sprinkles for Christmas cookies. So that's what I did! I think I found the template for the "boxes" somewhere other than that blog ... boy, did I mess that up, huh? Anyway, I made three of these, using a stamp from an Aussie SU set that a friend sent me (the little guy was holding a candy cane, and that was the closest thing I had to candy, cookies, anything connected to Christmas sweets). I printed out the label with a font I bought from one of the scrapbooking font sites (it was perfect, and I didn't want to deal with trying to find a similar free one). I used a gray Copic marker to color the Koala, and then used Sakura Glaze pens for the candy cane. The rest of it's just SU cardstock and the "Cerise" retired DP. I thought these would sell in the first hour, but I still have them! Go figure.

So I also made a non-edible form of the four-tubes-in-a-box type of deal:

Dont'cha just love it? Bath salts and other bath goodies! Adorable stamp from SU! I even used my Scor-Pal to make the background look like tile! But nobody went for these either. I am baffled. Or, as they might say in Northern Ireland, I am "banjaxed."

Well, I guess I just didn't have the right market for those or something. I thought they might make great teacher gifts, but maybe people aren't thinking that far ahead.

SO ... I haven't been back up in the loft this week, mostly because I am SO TIRED!! I think I didn't get fully recovered from my virus/infection before having to jump in and finish up the craft fair stuff, do the fair, and hostess my SIL. I enjoyed all those things, but now I'm just wiped out. I do have my new TJ newsletter, though, as I mentioned earlier, and I got an uber cool stamp set on Monday that I had ordered from an eBay store -- I think the set is Stampabilities clear, or one of those that starts with "S", and it's called "Rock Star". The guitar is AWESOME!! I have no use for the couple of stamps with skulls, but the rest of the set is pretty good. Anyway, it appealed to the rocker girl in me, so I "had" to have it. It wasn't very expensive, though.

That's all I have for today ("all?" you say! "You wrote another book!"). I'm going to go lie down and rest up to get ready for bed, lol. My son is looking up obscure linguistics stuff on the internet. Is that cool, or what!?!

Hope you have a great day!

No comments: