Monday, November 03, 2008

Debossed Swirly Birds

Well, it's the start of another week, and I'm feeling MUCH better this go-around! I started a card on Sunday afternoon, and had intended to finish and show it to you then, but Bjorn decided he wanted us to watch "Shanghai Noon" after dinner, via Netflix's instant download program, so we did that instead. It was a really funny movie (we skipped through the parts we deemed inappropriate -- for ourselves as well as Aidan!), with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson in it. A "Noodle Western" Bjorn deemed it since it involved Chinese people in the Old West. I just wish movie makers didn't think sexual stuff and foul language was necessary in movies. It just detracts, as far as we're concerned. "Adult" language and "Adult" situations? Um ... it all seems pretty juvenile to me.

First, I received another award! My dear friend Christi Milliken gave me this one:

We're all aware that there's supposed to be an "r" in there to make it the "I Love Your Blog" award, although an "I Love You" award is a nice thought, too. Anyway, thank you, sweet Christi! I am very honored! I will be awarding this one to a few folks (Christi wasn't aware of any special rules with this one) once I have some time to sit down and sort through who to give it to.

And now I'll show you the completed card that I started last night (I finished it this afternoon):

This uses a technique called debossing that you do with Cuttlebug folders (non-TJ -- I got my instructions from Julee Tillman's "Poetic Artistry" blog awhile back). I used Soft Sky CS and Chocolate Chip ink for the debossed birds panel, and sponge-ink-distressed it after debossing it. The DP paper strip is from K & Co. (I have so many of their DP books it's shameful! I need to start scrapbooking again!) I made the sentiment circle with my new JustRite stampers (mini font and Brayton font), and punched it out with an SU circle scallop punch, mounted on circles of Soft Sky and Choc. Chip. Both the DS panel and the sentiment circle are distressed in Choc. Chip. Then for the background I ran Soft Sky CS through the Cuttlebug with the Swiss Dots folder twice, side-by-side (this card is 5"x7") and then sort-of dry-brushed the whole thing with Gesso. It's mounted on Very Vanilla.

I've had the debossed bird panel around (four of them, actually) since, like, July or something, so it was nice to finally find a use for them!

I'm working on another card now, totally different vein, and will hopefully have it done by tomorrow evening. I just have to figure out how to adhere a piece of a bamboo sushi mat to cardstock and have it stay. ATG Gold framing tape (my standard VERY PERMANENT adhesive) didn't do it ...

So Tuesday is the election. For those of you U.S. registered voters who get my blog updates via e-mail, that means TODAY. So if you haven't voted yet, get out there and do it, long lines or not! It's your sacred duty (well, you know what I mean).

Okay, so I'm off to bed now. As I said, it was a MUCH better day today, but I'm very pooped now, so I'm ready to feel the comfy goodness of my mattress, pillow and sheets. (No blanket tonight -- sadly, it's been too warm for that these last few nights. So far I'm wanting a refund for November -- it's not the cool, crispy one I ordered! We've got somebody's used September. At least the leaves are finally turning, though!)

Well, hang on through tomorrow (Tuesday). It may be a rollercoaster ride!

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Congrats on your award and also on your beautiful card! I love the Vintage look and the blues are wonderful with it too~