Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A few thoughts

At the moment I don't have anything new to show you, although I have been working on some card "elements" today. If I get up into the loft tonight and finish anything, I'll try to get it scanned/photographed and show you, which means I'll be editing this post!

But I wanted to make a few comments about the election of our 44th president. Before you close your browser or move on to something else, this is all positive, so have no fear!



First of all, I'm just glad the whole thing is over. I don't think I'd realized how much the whole campaign thing was just dominating my mental life over the last few months, and how the "us vs. them" mentality had really crept in there and taken over. Now that the election is done and we've made our choice as a nation, I'm just ready to take a deep breath, pull the McCain sticker off my car and move on. It feels good.



Second, I do think it's pretty awesome that we have finally elected an African-American as President of the United States. I personally wish it hadn't been this specific one, but at any rate, the African-Americans in this country have waited so long to finally have a President of their race in the White House, and I'm very happy for them. I'm happy for the US in that respect, too. I'm thrilled that we have finally broken the "old white guy" thing, even though I do wish we could have had McCain in there -- I respect him SO much and really do think he would have made a great Prez.

Third -- it hit me today while I was driving to pick Aidan up from school ... my true citizenship isn't in any country on this planet, it's in Heaven. I'm a child of the Kingdom, my citizenship, through Christ's saving grace in my life, is there. That doesn't mean I'm going to slack off and sit around waiting for Jesus to come back or to die so I can get to Heaven ASAP. I still have a responsibility to this country, to my fellow human beings, etc. But I live in the Kingdom, and that is the most immensely freeing thing! God is in control no matter who sits in the White House, He has His purposes that are far above anything we can come up with, and I'm going to trust Him for all that.

So no sour grapes from me. Yes, as I said, I do wish McCain had won. I truly think he deserved it, I think he is a fantastic statesman, a very honorable man, etc. I have not lost my respect for him one iota. But Barack Obama will be our president starting on January 20, 2009, and it is my job to pray for him and the rest of our government for God's guidance, and that he'll listen to that guidance and obey.

Congratulations to those of you who voted for him! Now, I'm ready to move forward and live life outside of campaign season and inside the Kingdom of God.

Blessings of peace to all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pssssttt! He's biracial, not so much just African American. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of his. And you're absolutely right - trust in God is the best!!!

Stacy said...

Well, very few of us are 100% "whatever" -- I mean, I'm Irish, Scottish, English, Welsh, German and Italian (and who knows what else) -- in addition to being a VERY proud Texan and an American. But I think for all intents and purposes he counts as "black". I'm no fan of his either, but I think it's awesome that we're showing we're overcoming the stupidity of race issues.
Now we have to see if he can keep his promises or not. He's definitely 100% human (and 110% politician!).

'American Dreamer' said...

Stacy, You reflect my thoughts, exactly!
Thank you so much for the beautiful award, I'll try to live up to it and do the required things you ask.
I'm so sorry that you're sick, you've been on my mind. I try to remember to pray for you everyday, knowing how fragile your health is.
Love you girl...