Monday, December 08, 2008

Here Wii go again

Well, my birthday has come and gone. And with it came a new Wii game -- Wii Music. And it is FUN! Not if you're planning on writing virtuoso concertos or anything, but if you just want to play around with making music, performing all six parts in your own ensemble, trying your hand at 60 different instruments (if you can count a barking dog or a mewing cat as an "instrument"), it's a lot of fun. Especially if you play with other people. Aidan and I have been having a blast doing duets and jamming in combos. So far the songs in the "jam sessions" are all pre-set (i.e., songs like "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star", "Swan Lake" and "Daydream Believer," to name a few), but you can play them in different styles with different instruments. So I think it's worth whatever the guys paid for it. Except for the fact that it ate a chunk out of my day today! (looks embarrassed)

I did manage to finish a card today! And, by golly, if it isn't this week's Techno Stamper Challenge (#47, and turned on its side) done on the very first day! Here's the card:
and here's the sketch:
I started on the background last night -- a new TJ technique called "Glimmer Silk". It sounded perfect for something Oriental, so I pulled out my SU "Eastern Blossoms" set, along with a Sakura (cherry blossom) from About Art Accents and one from Hanko Designs and got with it!
And for some reason I go all red and gold when I think Oriental (even though I have washi paper in all kinds of colors), so I used my Tattered Angels "Oriental Poppy" and gold shimmer sprays. Then I stamped the geisha (I think she's from Art Neko, but I'd have to double check) in archival black ink on watercolor paper and decided to try my hand at watercoloring with markers, since I have this new book that's supposed to help you learn how. My first attempt totally stunk. (Stank?) It might have been that I'm using cheapo wc paper, but whatever, I hated it. So I stamped her again and decided to try using the shimmer spray as a watercolor medium. I dipped a paintbrush in the Poppy color and colored the red parts of her kimono with it; as I was painting I thought, "Y'know, this looks a lot like Twinkling H20s ..." So I got my Twinks out and got a darker red color to add some depth. I'm still not good at blending, but it turned out alright. Then I used "Buttercup" (a very pale yellow, which does NOT show up in the photo) on the sash and her collar and hair band. For the three accents on the right side I used a CarlaCraft "Sakura" punch and the SU Three For You flower punch, then just stuck a gold brad in the center. I have no idea what the Japanese writing (Onyx Expressions) says, and Aidan didn't know either, but it looked good in that corner to sort of balance things out. I'm actually pretty pleased with this card. I just wish I could get over Red and Gold!

Other supplies included: SU Riding Hood Red CS and ink (around the edges of the background), SU Black CS, Paper Company Gold, Paper Company shimmer red CS, Black Staz-on ink, red Mizuhiki cord.

I spent this evening over at my parents watching the last episode of Storm Chasers for this season (recorded from last night). It was amazing! On their last day of chasing they had the most incredible day of multiple vortices spinning out and making a single huge tornado, tornadoes dropping all around them, the TIV (Tornado Intercept Vehicle) finally got inside a tornado, although Sean still didn't get the shot he's been trying for seven years to get for his IMAX film, and Reed and his team managed to get their video intercept data pod into the path of an EF2 twister (and nearly got themselves into the path of it!). It was so awesome. I never, ever want to be in a tornado, but they are breathtakingly amazing wonders of nature, so I appreciate the Storm Chasers crews going out there and doing what I wish I could do and bringing back the footage for me to enjoy!

Okay, well, that's all for tonight. It's getting close to bedtime, and I've still got a few other things to do. Hope you all have a great day, whatever day it is you read this!

Blessings!

4 comments:

MJ said...

How fun! I love the sketch on it's side. That is such a wonderful image and you colored it perfectly. Happy Birthday, a bit late. I want to get the Wii Music for Christmas, glad you think it is fun. Thanks for playing in the sketch challenge this week!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Stacy! and your card is stunningly beautiful!! Love the sketch just as much on it's side - you did such a wonderful job with it :o)

Nancy ~ inkblocks.blogspot

Artneko said...

Stacey,
You don't need to post this but I thought I should tell you the Geisha is not from Art Neko. It's a nice stamp but I can't claim credit for it. By the way I have great sale going on if you want to stop by Art Neko www.artneko.com

Stacy said...

Thanks for letting me know that! I'll have to go up into my craft loft one of these days and look it up. I'm sure I wrote the company on the back of it, I'm just too lazy right now to go find it. If anyone is interested in the mfr. of the geisha stamp, post a comment here and I'll check on it for you.