Monday, January 12, 2009

I Scrapped!!!

I am so psyched! I finally got to feeling somewhat better on Sunday evening and decided to get out my scrappin' stuff, and I made a layout! A two-page one, no less! I finished it tonight ... got stuck on the "frufy bits" last night, but solved that problem today. I'm really excited because now I think I'm getting on the right track and getting 2009 started off right! And, hey, I didn't go out and buy anything new, even though I was tempted to. I just used what I had. *pats self on back* ;-)

So here is the layout. You can click on it to see it larger:



When I was sorting pictures this weekend, I noticed that there were several pics of A at the beach in San Diego over Thanksgiving where he was just pondering. Now, I did the "photo essay" of him on purpose, because I had this total "mom thing" while we were out there, realizing that the next time we were out there for T'giving he would be a SENIOR in high school, that he was growing up too fast, etc. So that was meant to be the theme of the photo essay. But as I was categorizing these pics the other day, I decided this was really a better use for them (which is exactly the way the Library of Memories system is supposed to work!). They truly capture how he is sometimes (and the "scowly" one isn't really scowly ... he's just trying to look uber serious, I think).

Here's what the journaling says:
"Ever since you were a baby, A, I've longed to know what goes on in that head of yours! Now that you're a teenager and no longer tell me everything that comes to mind, I find that old familiar longing coming back, just to know what really goes on in the mind of my 15-year-old son. I'm very blessed that sometimes you will open up and tell me a tiny portion of the thoughts that swirl in your brain -- something cool about linguistics or con-worlding, or something that bugs you about school or the government. But there are still plenty of times -- like this day on the beach in San Diego -- when your thoughts are your own and I can only be left wondering what you've got going on in there!"

Of course, I don't really want to know EVERYTHING that goes on in his mind these days -- I'm sure some of it would freak me out. But you moms know what I mean!

I really like the way this turned out. I was following a sketch from the October 2008 Page Maps. And the frufy bits? Well, I decided to use a word cloud instead of one of them, and his age in chipboard instead of another (and I put it in a different place, too).

So here's the ingredients for the layout:
Cardstock: SU (River Rock) and Club Scrap
DP: Deja Views "Zach's Life"; Karen Foster (lined paper)
Stamps (yes, they're there on the journaling): "Grunge Collection" by Stempelglede
Inks: SU "Brocade Blue" Classic ink pad; "Brilliant Blue" marker; "Close to Cocoa" marker
Punch: Spiral edge from SU
"15" chipboard -- Basic Grey
Glimmer mists (on the chipboard) -- "Candy Apple Red" and "Oriental Poppy" (Tattered Angels)
Cricut cartridges: "Jasmine" and "George & Basic Shapes"
Alphabet stickers: Creative Imaginations & unknown

I made the word cloud over at this really kewl site called "Wordle" where you can make your own word clouds. You can print them out and/or save them to their gallery, but you can't save them to your own computer UNLESS you do a screen capture (which is what I did). It prints out the size of an sheet of letter-sized paper, but I shrunk mine in PaintShop Pro so it would fit on the page where I wanted it. It's a really fun site, and I'm already thinking it would make great backgrounds or something for other layouts.

I know there were a hundred other things I wanted to talk about, but it's late, I'm tired and just getting the layout done has trumped everything! Oh! I did spend almost the entire afternoon yesterday loading photos into a Picasa album so I could have a slideshow on my blog of my "stuff", if anyone who reads via e-mail update is interested in checking that out. Just for fun, no biggie.

Hope everyone has a great day whatever day it is you read this! Happy stamping and/or scrapping!

No comments: