Thursday, March 12, 2009

Scrapbooking whirlwind!

Wow -- I've been a scrappin' whirlwind lately! I figure I've already done more layouts in 2009 than I did in all of 2008, and it's only the second week of March! Unfortunately, I was too busy and then too tired today to do much, but I did get some journaling typed and started the process of picking paper and a photo or two for an "About Me" page. I found a Simple Scrapbooks special edition magazine-book I'd bought a year or two ago that's all about quizzes and questions you can ask yourself and others for scrapbook starters or entire LOs, so I picked one and went with it. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow.

But tonight I have a couple of recently finished LOs to show you. The first is that other 6"x6" I was going to show last time but realized I hadn't scanned:


This photo was taken three years ago on a school field trip. Aidan had had his iPod for about five months. He might have been listening to music on it (at that point it would've been contemporary Christian -- he hadn't discovered Japanese anything yet), but more than likely he was listening to excerpts from Monty Python's "Holy Grail" movie. He had just discovered them, although Bjorn and I had been quoting bits forever. (No, I didn't journal that on the LO -- I should have, though. Maybe I'll make it a "hidden journaling" thing on the back)

Ingredients:
Papers: Basic Grey; DCWV
Letter Stickers: Basic Grey
Corner Punch: EK Success
Journaling Marker: Creative Memories (? - I borrowed it from my friend Elizabeth)
and as I put on the back ...
Boy by God


And now I have the big LO I was working on yesterday and the day before. I will show you the whole thing together first. And you will be gracious enough NOT to point out to me (or to snicker over there behind your computer screen) the rather glaring continuity mistake there is in where the middle strip of striped paper is placed in relation to the one on the other page. Which is accentuated by the Apricot ribbon. I am usually SOOOOO picky about those things, but I was clearly thinking about something else (like getting the vertical edges on the striped paper and the base paper aligned) and not lining up the pages together. *SIGH*



Now the separate pages:



So this LO started out as a sort-of "Aidan on the Beach in San Diego" deal, but by the time I got finished laying it out, it had morphed into a "looking over the horizon" thing and the whole metaphor for the Horizon of Life just hijacked my layout and ran away with it. But the truth is, I had taken all those pictures of him last Thanksgiving week on the beach in San Diego because it suddenly hit me as I was watching him walk around and draw in the sand and all that, that this kid that I love with every fibre of my being, every ounce of my essence, won't be my "kid" forever. In fact, the next time we go out to San Diego for T'giving (assuming we stick to our every-other-year routine), he'll be a senior and truly looking AT that Horizon of Life, getting ready to head out into the Big Adventure of Real Life. It almost ruined my whole trip, but I realized that this is just the way it has to be. In our society, in our times, kids grow up and leave home and lead their lives away from their parents. Sometimes "away" might be in the house next door, sometimes it's across the globe. Almost always there's a period of separation in there when they go off to college or go off to "find themselves." So how can I expect my kid to be any different? He WANTS to grow up and leave home. He WANTS to go "off" to college (although right now it's looking like UT, which is just downtown -- yay!!), and he WANTS to live his own life. And what's more, God has ordained this from the beginning. Aidan has a purpose in God's scheme. God has a design for Aidan's life, and it most likely doesn't include living at home for the rest of his life and being a Mama's Boy. Which is a good thing, because I don't want him to do that. I want Aidan to have the life he's supposed to have.

I'm just not quite ready for that yet!

Thus the journaling (you can click on the picture to see it larger). And, yes, I shed a tear or two when I wrote it. But I'm so glad to know that this kid IS in God's hands, that I CAN trust my wonderful Heavenly Father to look after him as he goes Out There on his own, into his life. I don't see how non-Christians do it. I'm so thankful for the power of prayer!

Okay, so enough philosophizing and Mom-izing and whatever. Here are the ingredients:

DP: CTMH, K&Co, Karen Foster Design
Chipboard Letters: Marcella by K
EP: "Stampin' Stuff" (Mark Enterprises)
Cricut alpha: "Jasmine"
Stamps: Crazy Mountain Stamps; The Angel Company
Compass Rose Digital Element: Buried Treasure Collection (ScrapGirls.com)
Ribbon: Stampin' Up!
Inks: SU; Ranger Industries Distress
Chipboard circle: Blockheads Stamps


I just realized to my horror that I forgot to make the card sample for the SHINE challenge that's supposed to start tomorrow! I did make some cards at a stamping get-together this morning, but none of them seemed to fit with what I want the theme to be, so I was planning on making a different card this afternoon, but I FORGOT! Geez. Okay, so I'll go apologize at PCP and do it tomorrow.

And I am utterly exhausted from the busy day, so I am off to bed! It rained all night last night, and even though it didn't rain during the day today, it's supposed to rain a lot tonight. It's raining right now, so I hope it'll keep doing it!

Cheers!

2 comments:

Melb. said...

Beautiful LO!!!!

Leonie Schroder said...

Hey Stacy ... how have you been? Boy Aidan looks so young in that iPod layout. I do love the Horizon layout - the colours, layout, photo's .. love it all - well done!