Monday, September 14, 2009

A tribute

So I was bored and surfing the digital scrapbooking sites over the weekend, snagged some freebies, even bought a couple of things, then thought -- "Wait a minute, why am I DOING this? I rarely ever digi-scrap!" And I decided maybe I'd better put some of my huge stash of digi-scrapping stuff to good use, especially since I'd actually shelled out money for some of this stuff.

So I thought -- heritage photos. I have a ton of those now and maybe rather than printing them out and paper scrapping them, I could do some in digital. Of course, this is a struggle for me, because I want to FEEL the 3-Dness of the stuff on my page, not just have it LOOK 3-D. But I broke down and did a page anyway, and I am very pleased with how it turned out!

This is my grandmother (Mom's mother) when she was 16. It's my favorite photo of her, and I wanted to do something really special to set it off. And here's what I came up with:

My grandmother was the very epitome of the Proverbs 31 Woman. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link to the chapter. Start with verse 10. And keep in mind, this passage isn't something women HAVE to be, it's something to aspire to. I think my Granny did a very good job of reaching that aspiration, just by being herself. I really miss her. I was thinking today about when she was in the rehab "home" a few weeks before she died, about her struggling to walk between the parallel bars. She was a super courageous lady. Thinking about it makes my heart hurt, though, so I have to kinda slam the door on those thoughts.

Granny loved pink, roses, butterflies and hummingbirds. I couldn't figure out how to add hummingbirds without it just getting overboard, but I think she would have liked this layout a lot, although she would have disagreed with my declaration that she was a Proverbs 31 Woman!

Anyway, here are the "ingredients":
Brads: Michelle Underwood "Chocolate Soup" kit
"31": Amy Teets "Sunporch" alpha
Bkgd paper: Atomic Cupcake "Divine Damask"
DP: Raspberry Road Designs "Seventies Stylin'"
Bible verse: Eyelet's Scraps Designs "Scripture Pack 1"
Flowers: Paula Yagisawa (Dreamer Paula) "Sunday Morning"
Buds: Dyp Designs "Eastermania"
Butterflies: Ana Flor "Silk Butterflys [sic]"
Frame: Diana Burton "Heritage Helpers"
Ribbon: ScrapStreet "New Orleans Valentine"
Raffia: Thao Cosgrove "Raffia Embellishments"
"Proverbs" letters: Zee Helmick "Vintage Buttons" alpha
Font: Lettering Delights "Wedding"


As you can see, I'm no more a "one-kit" girl with digi-scrapping than I am in "real life" scrapping, lol!

So, I'm working on a paper-scrapped layout about my twin nephews. At the moment I don't like how it's turning out, but I'll go up and play with it some tomorrow and see if I can't figure out what's bothering me and fix it.

Hope everyone has a great week!

2 comments:

Leonie Schroder said...

oooo gorgeous layout Stace ... she'd be very proud of it I'm sure

Diana Burton said...

You did a marvelous job, this layout is absolutely gorgeous. The photo is stunning--you are lucky to have such photos at your disposal! As a strictly digital (mostly) scrapper I am a firm believer that one should not get stuck in "the one kit only" rut. The beauty of digiscrapping is that your pieces can be used over and over again, so why not mix them up! Your digi kits become so much more versatile that way. Thanks for using my "Heritage Helpers".