Sunday, February 14, 2010

Scripture Challenge -- two layouts

Well! That's about all I can say ... well! Apparently Penicillin VK wasn't strong enough to knock out my strep throat and it came back to bite me in the ... tonsils! I am now on a massive, huge Amoxicillin tablet twice a day (800-something mg) that could choke a horse. Hopefully it will choke out the strep nasties and get me well soon!!!!

The worst part of this is that I haven't felt the least bit like scrapping. I haven't thought of a best part yet. I did, however, manage to scrap the Scripture challenge from Patter Cross at Triple the Scraps for last time, last week when I had that one good day between Round 1 and Round 2 of the strep. Then today I had a few lucid moments and got the new one scrapped -- on the day the challenge was announced! Not bad, that.

So here is the one for last week, the word being "Abide":

This is one of those that took ages to do because I had a concept in my head that I just couldn't make work, and my brain was fried from being sick. I wanted to use the photo (my son and hubby several years ago at Lake Travis) as the "background paper", and then do some blendy things, etc. Nothing worked. So I left it for a couple of days then came back to it and still had to fiddle awhile before I tried this overlay/template idea. I was pleased with how it turned out, so just finished it from that.

Ingredients (everything resized to fit 6"x6" where appropriate):
Overlay/template: Syndee Nuckles "Isn't it Grand" (ScrapGirls)
Paper: Ztampf Designs "Port au Prince" (Songbird Avenue -- this is a gorgeous charity kit to help with the situation in Haiti)
Photo action: Donna Rafferty -- "Toasty Burnt" from "Photo Decor" actions (Plain Digital Wrapper)
Word art template: Kim de Smet "Word Art Templates" (oScraps)
Font on "abide": Dreamer One
Other fonts: not sure ...


Then today the newest challenge word came down from Patter: "Home" As in "heaven." Now, being quite ill for the last couple of weeks, as well as knowing people who have been in terrible, life-threatening car wrecks (an 18-year-old girl who went to school with my son last year, and who is still not out of the woods), who have lost their husband in a terrible snowmobiling accident (the president of Conoco/Phillips Alaska, who was caught in an avalanche yesterday -- he is the son-in-law of one of my mother's best friends), having a member of one of my Yahoo groups lose her husband this week, reading about terrible accidents in the news ... I'm a little "nervous" about Home/Heaven coming up just now! lol Seriously, it is a HUGE comfort to know that we have an amazing, love-built home in Heaven waiting for us, I'm just not in a huge hurry to get there. All that aside, though, I had just the perfect paper for this layout -- and I just bought it this week! Perfect timing!


Papers:
Jean Daugherty "Home Sweet Home" (Digizines Studios)
Thao Cosgrove "Daily Bread Collection Mini" (ScrapGirls)
Blending template: Brandy Murry "Background Blenders" (ScrapGirls)
Layout frame: Diamante Designs "Layout Holders" (Pickleberrypop)
Alpha: Syndee Nuckles "November Sky Alpha" (ScrapGirls)
Font: Gabrielle


I was pleased how quickly this one came together. I thought the gate on the other paper was so cool to use here -- hints of Pearly Gates, all that. I decided I really liked the sort-of soft, cozy feel of the muted colors here, even though I know there'll be streets of gold, God's glory and all that going on in Heaven. To me, the seaside is the most beautiful place on earth, and I love it when it's a bit foggy and everything is muted -- colors of sand, gray, soft blue. So, yeah, I like the way everything just worked out so perfectly on this layout!

I decided I had to drop the "My Lifetime Story" challenge for now -- a new topic coming down every week, and some of them were HUGE, like "my grandparents" or "my parents." Heck, I still don't even have the journaling done for "my birth story." So while I love the concept, I was feeling overwhelmed, especially since I wanted the pages to be really special, AND I was too sick to do "special". (The two pages above are special, but small, simple, no journaling to do.) I may start on Michelle Stone's "Book of Me" challenge, but we'll have to see. Journaling when my brain isn't on full is tough.

Well, hopefully this will be a better week for EVERYONE! Please pray for Ella (the car wreck victim), for Kathy and family (family of the Conoco/Phillips exec), etc. Lots of folks needing prayer right now!!

10 comments:

A-M said...

Both of these pieces of art are stunning.
What you have achieved with that top one was worth the time it took you to do... so very nice.

Patter Cross said...

WOW!!! Love the colors in both of them as well as the background photos. Just absolutely stunning! Sorry you have been so ill but glad you are able to spend some time crafting and focusing on Him. I pray the week ahead brings better health your way. Blessings,

Amy said...

Very beautiful.

Jennipher Lowery said...

I love both of your pages. They look incredible. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Dollie Evans said...

Love these-both very beautiful. I am inspired to play around with some digital layouts. Praying you are feeling better soon.

NickelNook said...

Both your pages are just gorgeous! Wonderful Scripture too!...Nancy :o)

Cherie said...

Your HOME layout is absolutely stunning. LOVE the effects you used!!

Jennifer McGregor said...

Really nice digital artwork!

dcookwrites said...

I like the ethereal effect evident in both pieces. You've captured a depth unique to digital scrapbooking and blended artistic definition with spiritual truth. How are you displaying these?

Stacy said...

Thank you all for your sweet compliments! I haven't printed these out yet, but when I do I'm thinking of displaying them in one of those tabletop racks for 6"x6" where they hang from a bar at the top of a stand. I may have seen this on Patter's blog ... I saw it somewhere. Haven't looked into it yet.